Talk

Advanced search

secondaries in guildford

(4 Posts)
rlekk Tue 18-Sep-12 14:23:00

anyone any views on the pros and cons between George Abbott and County Schools in Guildford?

sweetfluffybunnies Tue 18-Sep-12 14:31:00

Both good schools with an excellent rep, if you're in a position of being able to choose between these two then you're lucky!

My kids go to GA, it's excellent but very big so quieter kids may get 'overlooked' a bit. The school has always responded well to any concerns re bullying, academic progress etc (and that doesn't mean the school has a bullying problem). Great range of subjects on offer at GCSE too.

No direct experience of County, but I've heard lots of good things.

If I were choosing between these two schools, I would choose the one closest to where I live (or easiest to get to.)

rlekk Thu 20-Sep-12 12:59:20

thanks. good to know. we are thinking of moving house anyway so would like to choose to be close to one to ensure we get in to our first choice.

moid Fri 28-Sep-12 19:15:59

My son has just started at County School. Had the choice between the two and choose County because:
- more relaxed over unimportant things like having your top button done up
- son has had some hiccups as expected but the school has been so helpful going out of their way to be supportive
- smaller school, he already knows his way around
- setting only for Maths and French and only 2 top sets, 3 middle and 1 bottom
- great ethos

Stories from George Abbott
- detentions have levels (1,2,3) from a ten minute detention
- kids have had detentions already (4 weeks in) for uniform violations, kids who parents had failed to sign planners got detention. At County, kids in drama class who remembered an extra bit of homework got a commendation. Different way of dealing with motivation - stick or carrot!

GA is huge.

We are so happy with our choice, think GA is great for kids as long as they can conform.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now