Talk

Advanced search

Views on jfs non accelerated stream and jcoss?

(7 Posts)
Munsters Fri 07-Sep-12 21:39:45

Anyone know what it is like for an average child with no senco. Heard mixed reports. Any experience of jcoss?

Nearlyyear5 Sat 08-Sep-12 08:13:28

Rumour has it that the accelerated stream is in it's way out so it will be interesting to see developments there.

However, given that the latest GCSE results were 85% A*-c inc English and Maths with 51% EBACC and 80% A-B at A level with 65 children getting at least 3A's then children in the lower groups must be doing pretty well. I certainly hear very little negative about the school with parents generally extremely positive and DC's friends who have siblings there are very happy and doing extremely well. They also prepare very well for university, big emphasis on Oxbridge prep for those who are able and good university support generally. I know lots of people giving up private places to go there.

JCOSS, again generally hearing good things but have heard a few quibbles, nothing major but it is still an unknown entity and there won't be any GCSE results for another 3 years. Personally we are going for JFS as first choice with Yavneh second and JCOSS third.

optimal Tue 11-Sep-12 10:44:22

what quibbles have you heard?
I've heard the kids enjoy theselves but how's the education?

Munsters Sun 23-Sep-12 20:38:10

Nearly Year 5 - thanks for your help. Do you have any more information about the accelerated stream going out. JFS hasn't mentioned anything and when I called told me to wait until the main parents evening. Any rumour on quibbles at JCOSS would be helpful.

reshetima Tue 25-Sep-12 13:08:03

Munsters I don't know JCOSS personally, but I spotted a new addition to an old thread that you may wish to follow up: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/secondary/1470984-JCOSS-Barnet. It seems very critical and it would be good to hear from other parents at the school if there are any counterbalancing views.

anothermakesthree Tue 25-Sep-12 23:49:37

Hi.

I have a child in year 7 at JCOSS. Was surprised to read the thread mentioned above, just doesn't match with our current experience. The school has managed the initial induction superbly, high expectations regarding behaviour, self organisation and work ethic have been laid out clearly and firmly. I love the separate yr7 playground, apparently 'you can always find somebody'. With regards lessons/homework, I can't fault the level of work, early setting and homework, is at the moment the same as other children are receiving at other local state/private schools. I have a happy, motivated child at the moment, working hard and really enjoying the 'brilliant teachers' (daughters words).

anothermakesthree Tue 25-Sep-12 23:57:12

Hi.

I have a child in year 7 at JCOSS. Was surprised to read the thread mentioned above, just doesn't match with our current experience. The school has managed the initial induction superbly, high expectations regarding behaviour, self organisation and work ethic have been laid out clearly and firmly. I love the separate yr7 playground, apparently 'you can always find somebody'. With regards lessons/homework, I can't fault the level of work, early setting and homework, is at the moment the same as other children are receiving at other local state/private schools. I have a happy, motivated child at the moment, working hard and really enjoying the 'brilliant teachers' (daughters words).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now