Talk

Advanced search

Creative writing courses for teenagers?

(10 Posts)
kingprawntikka Thu 09-Aug-12 20:19:27

My daughter is just going in to sixth form and hopes to do English Literature at university. She would love to do a creative writing course but we are struggling to find one that accepts under eighteens. A residential course in the holidays, or something on a weekend would be great, and we are happy to pay for her to do it. Does anyone know of anything like that? TIA

JustGettingByMum Thu 09-Aug-12 20:52:55

Is this any good to you?

Kilve Court is great, and would highly recommend it

ColourMeWithChaos Thu 09-Aug-12 20:54:28

It might be worth looking if any universities run creative writing summer schools still?

My sister in law went to one when she was 16/17 but that was the early 1990s.

Saracen Thu 09-Aug-12 22:10:18

So she's over 16? I believe that http://www.arvonfoundation.org/ will accept students over 16 onto any of its courses.

I think they also do some courses for under-16s through schools, as well as some for home educated kids who are under 16.

kingprawntikka Fri 10-Aug-12 12:54:32

Thank you all so much. Some good ideas here. I will have a proper look at them all with my DD.

Addie18 Fri 10-Aug-12 15:55:58

I had this problem this year too. Ask at your biggest borough library, there is normally one running there, staring around september time. Hope this helps.

kingprawntikka Fri 10-Aug-12 19:44:33

Thank you I'll ask at the library in our nearest city.

Haggisfish Fri 10-Aug-12 22:15:11

I second the Arvon courses - I went on once and there was a teenager on it (17) - he had the BEST time ever and eventually went on to study Creative Writing at a great uni with a reference from one of the professional authors who tutored on the course - literally life changing for him. I went on one when I was 17 and have been inspired to write ever since.

kingprawntikka Mon 13-Aug-12 14:59:13

Thank you Haggisfish, the courses look great, but my DD wondered if any one young would be there so your reply helps answer that !

jenjeffs Sun 09-Feb-14 17:32:39

Hello,
I am also looking to send my 16 year old daughter on a residential creative writing course for the same reasons as you, and have been looking at the Arvan Foundation's starting-to-write courses. When are you thinking of doing it? if they went at the same time, they wouldn't be the youngest all on their own!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now