Talk

Advanced search

BRIT school

(13 Posts)
Soloist Sun 10-Jun-12 09:51:12

Does anyone know how to find boarding for a fourteen year old near the BRIT school in Croydon? She starts this September but the commute is a bit much I think. She would of course come home on weekends.

camptownraces Sun 10-Jun-12 21:59:05

Ask school for help with this.
Several students do it, at least initially, but you'd want to find somebody who was properly checked out and probably cleared with Social Services.

How far away, in hours on public transport, are you?

Soloist Mon 11-Jun-12 01:00:10

We're a little over an hour each way

Kez100 Mon 11-Jun-12 07:19:58

I know someone going there this year at 16, from a long way away but they are going to live with relatives. Because of the age, I'd recommend talking to the school to discuss options.

homebythesea Mon 11-Jun-12 12:31:11

soloist - obviously don't know about the details but I do know that many teens have an hours commute to school by bus / train / combination thereof (this is to private senior school) - considering boarding seems a bit drastic?? I am looking at Brit for my performer and it would be 2 trains and a bus but perfectly doable (but an early start!)

Haberdashery Tue 12-Jun-12 14:37:07

I think an hour each way would probably be fine. I commuted an hour each way to secondary school on public transport (into central London from Richmond) and it was perfectly OK. You soon get used to it, as a child, IME. There were people who had longer journeys than I did. I stayed late some nights for things like orchestra. Again, this was perfectly doable. I would see how it pans out before you look at boarding, personally.

oliviadorothymartin Sat 19-Nov-16 12:10:38

Hi, my daughter has applied for Brit school for next September. She has slight special education needs, which she is not statemented for, nor on any medication and it is managed well. She did not include this on her application, as she does not want to be labelled and thought it would hinder her application. I've been called by Brit school to forward some supplementary information to them and am thinking, should I inform them, all advice greatly welcomed. With many thanks.

Booboobedoo Sat 19-Nov-16 12:53:02

I would say letting her commute would be the less stressful option for her and you.

I worked there for a few years (congratulations btw, fab school) and travelled an hour each way.

LIZS Sat 19-Nov-16 12:56:52

Definitely inform them,especially if she needs access arrangements. I know someone who has invigilated at exams there and a significant number use laptops, have scribe/reader or extra time.

Wolpertinger Sat 19-Nov-16 13:01:04

Little over an hour is a pretty usual commute for a lot of kids - I did this from age 11 on the train to go to a grammar school.

Boarding seems a big step. For a school like this there will usually be other children doing the same route on the train/tube/bus and they all sit in a group together.

Blu Sat 19-Nov-16 13:20:50

OliviaDorothy: best start your own thread with a specific title like 'SEN support at Brit School' as everyone is now answering the 4 year old OP of this thread...,

gillybeanz Sat 19-Nov-16 13:26:41

totally different school but need to ask, have you checked out the practicalities of evening work and travelling to the boarding place.
I know my dd is quite often still working up to 8.00pm some evenings.
Even if boarding you'll need to work out the practicalities.
Just thought I'd mention it as it was a complete shock to us, we thought dd would be able to be a day pupil as only live 45 mins away from the school.
However, with a very tight schedule and so much to do, it wasn't possible.
I'd recommend finding something very near to the school.
Good luck, I know these things can be so hard to work out.

gillybeanz Sat 19-Nov-16 13:27:42

Bloody hell. Didn't check date

ZOMBIE

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now