Talk

Advanced search

St James School Ashford - any advice please?

(17 Posts)
Zed4 Fri 24-Feb-12 15:45:09

I have just spoken to the registrar at St James about a late application for my twin boys for 2012 (year 7) and he sounded very positive about applying at this late stage. Have looked at the school website and all looks lovely but wondered if any-one out there has visited the school, got sons there or has any general vibes/feeling about it that can help us ? Many thanks.

ChippyMinton Fri 24-Feb-12 17:28:09

The boys all seem very normal and polite when i've encountered them on the train (I live nearby). Lots seem to travel quite a distance.

Don't know anyone with DC at the school though.

Zed4 Fri 24-Feb-12 17:37:37

Thanks ChippyMinton. I like the idea of normal and polite! If my boys go there they will be travelling some distance too..

ChippyMinton Fri 24-Feb-12 22:15:52

You could try the Richmond upon Thames local topic, as the school recently moved from a site over Twickenham/Teddington way.

Zed4 Sat 25-Feb-12 09:24:09

Thank-you ChippyMinton - I will do that.

takeonboard Sat 25-Feb-12 15:02:20

St James is an SES school (School of Economic Science) which is a religion.

google it, there is tons of info about the SES on the internet and lots of horror stories about cults and St James Schools......

Or look up SES on mumsnet i think there has been some stories on here in the past

Zed4 Sat 25-Feb-12 15:43:39

Many thanks takeonboard - I didnt know this about St James. Will look into this. Anybody out there got DS's there and can 'enlighten' me on this so to speak!

Foxton Sat 25-Feb-12 16:32:50

Hi Zed4

I don't have personal experience of the school, but I know of it and know people with DC there who are perfectly happy with it. It does have a dodgy past, but this is now out in the open and I would be very surprised if anything unusual was still going on. The only thing that may be different to a more mainstream school is the philosophical ethos behind it - there's quite a lot about this on the website.

Zed4 Sat 25-Feb-12 18:23:46

Thank-you Foxton for your comments. On balance, still feel its worth considering.

Foxton Sat 25-Feb-12 18:35:38

I think it definitely is. Its past is well known in our school, but plenty of people are still very happy to send their DC there and haven't found any problem with it.

stillfeel18inside Sun 26-Feb-12 11:37:09

I agree with Foxton - I know lots of people who are very happy indeed with St James and none of them are connected to the SES (?) in any way. They just like the nurturing feel and the focus on the whole child, manners, having consideration for others etc. We're actually weighing it up against another school for our DS. I think the results St James gets are truly exceptional when you consider that it's a fairly non-selective school - over 60% A*/A according to the latest results.

Annelongditton Sun 26-Feb-12 15:35:46

Absolutely agree eith stillfeeling18inside. St James and Halliford are taking the boys other schools won't, particularly those with some learning difficulities. When you take that into account their results look amazing.

I know parents with boys there, there are a few quirky things like daily meditation, but they are pleased with and it suits the boys.

Zed4 Sun 26-Feb-12 20:05:39

Interesting comments stillfeeling18inside and Annelong ditton. All sounds very positive. Got the prospectus through today and interesting reading about the emphasis on spiritualism and meditation. I quite like that - just got to convince hubby..... Thanks again for all contributions.

ninadog Sun 11-Mar-12 11:54:53

Hi. My son is there, if you still need any more info let me know.

veyrierdulac Wed 14-Mar-12 14:49:51

Hi, I am thinking of putting my son down for this school but have yet to visit. Can anybody tell me how difficult it is to get in? It sounds v good and nurturing - my son is not especially sporty and I want him to be encouraged but not intimidated. What is the school like in this respect (question especially for ninadog - not sure what year your son is in?). I am very impressed with results but can anyone let me know if in their DC's experience if they are kind with the not so confident children?

Zed4 Sat 17-Mar-12 08:52:12

Thank-you ninadog, but have decided not to go for St James, Oh so luckily (and miraculously) my twins got our first preference state school. The private schools were always going to be a back up option if we couldnt get them in the state systems (mainly due to financial reasons) Also St James is a long way for them to travel - over an hour each way. However, I still think we would have looked at it if we didnt get our first choice as I personally find the ethos of and 'time in the now' quite interesting.

CaringParent111 Wed 08-Jul-15 12:50:51

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now