Talk

Advanced search

Considering Wellington college for DDs

(58 Posts)
pastoralacademia Tue 25-Oct-11 21:49:03

I am considering Wellington College for my DDs this year and perhaps my DSs later on. Any feed back? Any inside information?

LastSummer Tue 25-Oct-11 22:12:58

A fast evolving school that is very much in favour. You'll need to move quickly to put their names down. . .

www.wellingtoncollege.org.uk/applying-to-wellington

pastoralacademia Tue 25-Oct-11 22:22:24

Thank you for letting me know but I think I have played it safe and their names are down for few schools. However I would like to know if it is the right school. If you could help and tell me a bit more please. Do you have dc there?

happygardening Wed 26-Oct-11 03:13:52

A friend"s DD is at Wellington and loves it. She moved after a couple of terms at another well know independent school. The head is sometimes on radio 4 and I find him rather irritating and a self publicist but i know others think very highly of him.

LastSummer Wed 26-Oct-11 06:13:43

The Master has introduced classes on emotional wellbeing for older children and is replacing the treadmill of GCSEs and A Levels with the IB diploma and mid-years programmes. That makes Wellington one of the most progressive of the major public schools and, in my view, a healthy place to be. If your kids are sporty and bright, I imagine they'd thrive. Might make practical, emotional and financial sense to send them all to one school.

Milkshake3 Wed 26-Oct-11 09:58:14

The school is very selective, given how popular it has become. There is a day of selection at the start of year 7 with a computer based test, interview, group exercise etc. They try to make it as "fun" for the kids as possible. It is very results focused, surprising given how the newspaper articles written by the Head criticise the exam led education system we have, but I also agree with LastSummer about how progressive it is. I get the feeling it is a high octane environment, not one for the shy, retiring type....go and look round and see what you think!

happygardening Wed 26-Oct-11 10:31:28

I'm afraid the term emotional well being classes would be enough to put me off the place. I may be doing the man a disservice but I'm not surprised the head is full of what he considers bright and original ideas. I also notice on the schools web site he's full of the school position in the league table (conveniently for him the top 30 ish school are standing by there anti league table position).

LastSummer Wed 26-Oct-11 11:09:03

The term "emotional wellbeing" is mine in this context but I'm all for a school that wants to help children find happiness in their lives:

www.wellingtoncollege.org.uk/well-being

I agree that the school's academic results are commendable:

www.wellingtoncollege.org.uk/news/general-news/another-year-of-outstanding-results-

propatria Wed 26-Oct-11 11:17:25

Lastsummer-could you just confirm what your connection/knowledge is with regard to Wellington,your posts read like pr puffs.
I would think very carefully about sending a girl to Wellington.

LastSummer Wed 26-Oct-11 11:51:41

Prop:

Does my enthusiasm show? I considered Wellington for my daughter and I think it's a great school but, for various reasons, she'll probably go an all-girls school.

grovel Wed 26-Oct-11 12:58:48

Our neighbours sent their girls to Wellington. Both expelled (sex-related offences).
Anthony Seldon (The Master) is decidedly weird.

pastoralacademia Wed 26-Oct-11 13:45:13

I am so grateful for all your comments and please please keep them coming. Decision time is not far.....I am worried!

grovel Wed 26-Oct-11 14:04:16

Would your DC board? Are you local?

pastoralacademia Wed 26-Oct-11 14:15:34

LastSummer: you are so keen on the school what could possibly make you choose another one? I am intrigued

grovel: sex offences? Could you please tell me more? How is the discipline?

happygardening: Do you know the name of the other independent school? what was the reason? just in case it is one of my chosen ones

propatria Wed 26-Oct-11 14:24:37

Ten years ago Wellington was notorious for bullying,drugs and low academic standards,no one can doubt Seldon had bumped the school up the league tables and has got it and himself lots of publicity,however has the general ethos of the place changed,well each person must decide for themselves.
"A fast evolving school that is very much in favour" is that from the GSG or just something you made up ?Does any parent ever talk in that way about a school....

pastoralacademia Wed 26-Oct-11 14:36:54

grovel: we are in Marlow. It is along drive so I am not sure at the moment.

pastoralacademia Wed 26-Oct-11 14:37:42

sorry it's a long drive

pastoralacademia Wed 26-Oct-11 14:44:27

LastSummer: I know what Mr Seldon says and writes however I would like to know what he DOES.

propatria: do you know what's going on in the school? please share...

grovel Wed 26-Oct-11 15:18:44

pastoral, I'm not an expert on Wellington. I've been there a few times (DS's matches) and have known a few people from DS's prep school who went there 7 years ago. We're within easy commute of Wellington but did not put DS's name down.
My sense is that the school is a bit soulless. It has changed from being a tough, single sex, boarding-only school with a long-term military bias to being shiny, PR savvy, co-ed, day-and-boarding etc. I'm not sure it has really developed a new sense of identity beyond the words in the prospectus. I may be completely wrong.
Dr Seldon is an extraordinarily busy man. He's a journalist, an author, and a headmaster. He's deeply involved in the Wiltshire Academy which Wellington are sponsoring and also in Wellington's franchise activities in the Far East. But he's reputed not to sleep so maybe he's got time for it all....

pastoralacademia Wed 26-Oct-11 15:30:24

grovel, thank you so much for your reply. I am must I was wondering about how much time and attention is given to WC in Crowthorne.

propatria Wed 26-Oct-11 15:47:44

Agree very much with the second paragraph of grovels,look beyond the pr bluff,the (ever excellent)1st xv havent suddenly taken up crochet,hopefully Haskell like incidents will no longer happen,but its not all touchy feely ,emotional well being classes.

grovel Wed 26-Oct-11 16:36:20

pastoral, what other schools might you consider (if you don't mind sharing)?

LastSummer Wed 26-Oct-11 17:29:19

Pastoral,

We live in Greece so for logistical reasons my daughter may go to school in Scotland, where we have family. In my view Anthony Seldon has done a tremendous job of reshaping Wellington into a better place for children to be and I'd be delighted if, at 16+ if not before, my daughter could go there to complete an IB. Have you visited the school with your various offspring, to get a feel for the place? Since you're in Marlow, perhaps Stowe is another possibility.

happygardening Wed 26-Oct-11 17:33:29

The school my friends DS left before going to Wellington was a long way from although still in the south east is a very long way from Marlow. I obviously wish to protect her identity if you still wish to know PM me I will tell you. By the way wouldn't touch Stowe with a barge pole head is absolutely hideous we know quite a few who've left there.

Colleger Wed 26-Oct-11 21:15:43

I would never contemplate Wellington whilst that man is still on the throne!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now