Talk

Advanced search

GSCE English - YEAR 10

(22 Posts)
mumslife Tue 18-Oct-11 23:08:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

coffeepot Wed 19-Oct-11 09:10:31

To Kill a Mocking Bird is a great book - we first read it in secondary school (in the late 70's, a girls grammar school, our area hadn't gone comprehensive at that time) in the equivalent of year 8. It is a book that grows with you. The story is told through the eyes of a young girl who's father, Atticus, is a lawyer, defending a black man accused of rape in a small town in the American south, but there is a lot more to it than that. All the adventures of the children as they are growing up, the way they learn to see goodness in other people. When I first read it I read, it was the children's adventures that I related to. When I read it when I was older other facets of the book came more in to focus.

My dd in year 7 has just read it for the first time. She loved it. I had put off introducing her because of some of the issues covered, but when I read some of the other books she has been reading (eg the noughts and crosses series) I realised she was quite able to cope with the issues.

Animal farm is about communism. I think the issues in to Kill a Mocking Bird are probably more relevant to most teenagers today.

slartybartfast Wed 19-Oct-11 09:17:38

can't remember what dd is doing but she mentioned it the other day, how depressing it was - also they did the Boy in the Striped pyjamas a few years ago - which brought her near to tears.

Zippylovesgeorge Wed 19-Oct-11 09:28:58

I think my eldest has read - Animal Farm, Of Mice & Men and the Boy in Striped Pyjamas for his GCSe coursework. I guess it depends on what syllabus the school are doing? He is doing the Higher Tier but which exam board I've no idea.

BecauseImAWerewolefIt Wed 19-Oct-11 09:30:22

Both are absolute classics, and fantastic books - both deal with very thought-provoking issues.

Here's an idea. Why not read them yourself to find out? You will enjoy them, I promise!

sue52 Wed 19-Oct-11 10:38:40

To kill a mocking bird is a wonderful book. Your DD is lucky to have a chance to study and discuss it in class. A fifteen year old will have no problem understanding it.

cat64 Wed 19-Oct-11 14:11:17

Message withdrawn

cory Wed 19-Oct-11 15:59:37

Dd is doing Of Mice and Men. I would have thought To Kill A Mockingbird is the more accessible book tbh and the easier to write something about. Also easier than Animal Farm.

busymummy3 Wed 19-Oct-11 22:17:17

My DD seems to think she is going to do Animal Farm and Romeo and Juliet

mumslife Wed 19-Oct-11 22:17:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

busymummy3 Wed 19-Oct-11 22:18:10

Is busy at moment doing controlled assessments

slartybartfast Wed 19-Oct-11 22:19:43

dd too doing controlled assessments .

of mice and men.

busymummy3 Wed 19-Oct-11 22:21:36

DD said Shakespeare is between Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth. She is in top set and it seems as though they are going down the Romeo route

AmazingDisgrace Wed 19-Oct-11 23:29:31

Macbeth and Of Mice and Men I think all sets do the same texts its just the questions are different in the exam?

bruffin Wed 19-Oct-11 23:37:10

DS year 11 has been doing

The Purple Hibiscus
Romeo and Juliet
and also studied the film The Others

magentadreamer Thu 20-Oct-11 05:52:43

DD -yr10 is doing GCSE English language this year, they do Lit in yr11. She has just finished a CA on Of Mice and Men. This was a written one looking at the relationship of the two main charactors. They are about to commence their next CA a Speaking and Listening one where they will be doing a chat show style look at the aftermath of the shooting in Of Mice and Men. I suspect that they will continue to study Of Mice and Men for the Lit paper next year. DD when preparing for the written CA found sparknotes online and the CGP book very useful.

circular Thu 20-Oct-11 09:32:01

YR10 DD started To Kill a Mocking Bird this year - but it's for Language nit Literature. Animal Farm last year for the practises CA"s.

They complete the English Language GCSE in Yr10 and concentrate on Literature in yr11.

I did To Kill a Mocking Bird for Eng Lit O level in the late 70"s.
Seems very different now in how it is being studied. One if DDs assessments involves acting out bits.

bruffin Thu 20-Oct-11 10:19:04

I did To Kill a Mocking Bird, Romeo and Juliet and Of Mice and Men for my english lit back in 1979
I am sure one of the questions in my o'lever was about comparing Boo Radley to Lennie. This may be a fiction of my imagination, it was a very long time agogrin

Kez100 Thu 20-Oct-11 10:47:57

I studied Macbeth, History of Mr Polly and Modern Short Stories in the early 1980's. Well, everyone else did - I got a U no idea what went wrong! (Got an A in Language)

busymummy3 Thu 20-Oct-11 18:46:25

I did Macbeth , A Tale of Two Cities and The Pardoners Tale for my o level Eng Lit hated Tale of two cities never read it all the way through but managed to pass albeit a B !!!

roisin Thu 20-Oct-11 22:01:05

Ds1 is doing To Kill a Mockingbird and Lord of the Flies apparently as his modern novel.

I don't know what other texts they're doing yet, but there will be a modern drama and a Shakespeare I think, plus some poetry. Maybe a classic text.

I'm not sure actually as they do a different exam board to my school, so I don't know how their curriculum works.

florist Fri 21-Oct-11 20:22:33

Coffee-pot what on earth has relevance got to do with anything

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now