Talk

Advanced search

Science 3C in Year 7

(4 Posts)
lilackaty Tue 18-Oct-11 19:13:19

My dd got a level 4 for science at the end of year 6 and did well throughout primary school. She has just done an APP task (Assessing Pupil Progress) and come out as a 3C - I am very worried as by my calculating that puts her about 3 or 4 years behind. I realise levels are not everything and that this is just one assessment but her ICT came up as a level 3 too - a subject which she thought was a strength.
What should I be doing to help? I have emailed the teacher to ask her about it.

bulby Tue 18-Oct-11 19:21:38

Firstly don't panic. As you say it is one assessment and it could be in a particularly tricky, to your child, aspect of science. Also the app (don't get me' started on that tripe!!!) skills in question may be new to her. I will also add that in my many years experience ks2 science grades are often more generous than I would have awarded. It's very difficult to show a gradual progression over a year in science, you will probably find she goes up in some areas but drops back down in others, the picture over the year should show an overall progression though. If I was her teacher I would be more than happy for you to contact me' to discuss ways to help.

TheFallenMadonna Tue 18-Oct-11 19:25:49

Yep. Bulby is spot on. APP only works (as far as it does work...) over a period of time. We do range and content tests and APP. Single assessments, especially single APP assessments (which I dislike) don't give a big picture.

lilackaty Tue 18-Oct-11 19:41:05

That's what I thought, but really needed to be reminded so thank you. I know she's not an exceptionally high achiever but that seems like a huge drop and is very low. Hopefully I'll get a response from the teacher soon.
Thanks bulby and thefallenmadonna.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now