Talk

Advanced search

Anyway else feeling stressed about their choices and the pressure to get that form in on time?

(5 Posts)
cece Mon 17-Oct-11 16:15:08

DD did a test for one of the schools we like (selective foundation school). Got the letter today to say her scores are not above the threshold for getting a place. sad

Don't get me wrong I am very proud of her as she did them without any extra tutoring or help as it isn't the sort of test you can prepare for. Just disappointed I guess that our choice is now between two schools instead of 3.

It wasn't even our favourite school. LOL!

Just fed up with it now and can't believe we have to wait till March to find out.

Sorry just feeling fed up with the system.

troisgarcons Tue 18-Oct-11 00:03:56

Well, back in the day when dinosaurs roamed the earth - the 11+ was the best diet you ever went on because you got results and school allocation on 1 March. So you had a good 6 months of nail biting and what-iffing!

I'm happy the what-iffing is over in 3 weeks. Now its just the placement allocation due in March

CustardCake Tue 18-Oct-11 15:11:52

In some areas, passing the 11+ means a guaranteed place. In other areas, the grammar schools just tell you that your child has passed the test but this isn't much help considering 300 or 400 other children have also passed the test and there's only 120 places!!
It means you have one extra "possible" option to put on your form but you've no way of knowing whether its a realistic option so the pressure is still there to make sure you have a good back-up school which in turn depends on distances to schools so again not a lot you can do about it.

I think the whole thing is pretty stressful no matter what unless you have a fab local school that is undersubscribed, that you hope to get a place at, that you have an older child at already and its Catholic and you are Catholic too and had your child baptised at 2 weeks old and you've been to mass ever Sunday since and have a letter from the priest to prove this. Even then I bet people still feel a little nervous in case something changes between now and March.

But for ordinary families it can feel like a real lottery.

southeastastra Tue 18-Oct-11 15:13:25

most of our schools here have admission tests, i think it kind of sucks

cece Tue 18-Oct-11 20:39:08

Thanks, feeling a bit better today. Have made another appointment to revisit our nearest school and then I suppose I will have to decide!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now