Talk

Advanced search

Website for measuring postcode distances?

(14 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Sun 16-Oct-11 17:46:56

obviously I appreciate this isn't going to be as accurate as the lea measuring tool but looking for something to give me an idea.

The aa website must be wildly out as it gives a distance of 14.8 miles it must be closer. The school website says last year the cut off was 13.3 miles and all the kids from our village got in so we must be 13.3 or under.

Furball Sun 16-Oct-11 17:51:31

rac.co.uk then plan a route on the right [smile

VivaLeBeaver Sun 16-Oct-11 17:54:03

Thanks, that has a shortest route option which gets it down to 13.1 which is better.

HauntedLittleLunatic Sun 16-Oct-11 17:55:41

I think school admissions is front gate to front door and as the crow flies so route planners aren't going to be much help.

Just print a scale map and use a compass to draw a circle of the appropriate radius might be your only way

HauntedLittleLunatic Sun 16-Oct-11 17:56:34

or this might help

VivaLeBeaver Sun 16-Oct-11 17:59:13

This school definitely does road distance by shortest route on any public highway, not as the crow flies.

CustardCake Sun 16-Oct-11 18:21:41

Viva - it might be worth ringing the council tomorrow and asking - they should be able to tell you the distances you want to know. The reason for this is that what you think is the "shortest suitable route" might not be how they define it. For example some LAs don't allow you to include short cuts like unlit roads or tracks that aren't officially recognised or private land or unregistered roads or roads where the pavement isn't continuous etc.
You can get a rough idea from websites / google maps but if it comes down to a metres rather than kms, your best bet is to get the official figure

VivaLeBeaver Sun 16-Oct-11 18:34:35

Well we find out in March if DD has a place or not so I'm trying to be good and sit on my hands till then. Obviously if she doesn't get in and the distances are this close then I'll be straight on the phone to the council and appealing if necessary.

Its for a Grammar school so have just found out that DD passed the 11+. I'll be appealing if she doesn't get a place just to make sure that every avenue is explored.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 16-Oct-11 18:37:01

When we moved here we looked at 2 houses in the village and I wish we'd bought the other now as its the right side of the village. Some years half the kids in the village have got in and others haven't. However 2 out of the last 3 years we'd have got in so am trying to be reassured by that.

crazymum53 Sun 16-Oct-11 18:53:40

You could try www.upmystreet.co.uk or the directgov school finder. These work out the distance to your nearest school from your postcode rather than your house but may be useful as a guide.

crazymum53 Sun 16-Oct-11 19:11:15

Above should read www.upmystreet.com.

nlondondad Mon 17-Oct-11 23:45:20

actually post codes are a very hit and miss way of measuring distance.

They were never designed for that. The area covered bu a single post code can vary a lot. Much bigger if there are few delivery points. Smallest if its a unique business postcode and so forth.

Find out they system the lea uses.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 17-Oct-11 23:57:34

Apparently the lea uses Microsoft map point, so I found out today.

Agree that postcodes may not be the most accurate method as it's not to the specific house. However the school admission policy states it does it on distance as measured from the postcode of the house to the postcode of the school. It doesn't actually say that the nearest kids get places so maybe they're covering their backs by saying this?

prh47bridge Tue 18-Oct-11 01:09:18

Which LA is this? I personally don't think postcode to postcode measurement meets the requirements of the Admissions Code for a "reliable and reasonable" system although I am not aware of any Schools Adjudicator rulings on the subject.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now