Talk

Advanced search

Anyone have DC at Bexley Grammars

(10 Posts)
Smadarama Sun 16-Oct-11 10:51:18

Found out last week that DS has got a guaranteed Bexley grammar school place. smile We are about to go to the open mornings this coming week. Last year we visited them all & my first impression was that I would be happy for him to go to any of them - he didn't have a clear favourite either.

In case this happens again I wondered if any of you have DC attending Bexley Grammar, Beths or Chis & Sid and what their experience has been.

Thanks for your help.

troisgarcons Sun 16-Oct-11 16:37:46

Beths - all the way. My son loves it. Wouldnt be anywhere else.

C&S is getting a bit of 'reputation' locally at the moment though. The students aren't particularly well thought of when leaving school. I did find it a bit 'odd' when I viewed it. I liked BGS.

Beth has excellent pastoral care. C&S lives on results. Don't know anyone at BGS.

ImpYCelyn Sun 16-Oct-11 16:42:21

I went to BGS. It was excellent at the time (I left 8 yrs ago).

The current head was my English teacher and he is excellent and very well thought of, from what I've heard since. He used to be the SENCO and is very big on pastoral support for all the students etc.

I've heard very good things about Beths too.

Smadarama Sun 16-Oct-11 17:49:39

Thank you both for replying so quickly. Good to hear that both BGS and Beths have good pastoral care - that's so important.

troisgarcons Sun 16-Oct-11 18:07:00

BTW - well done on your lad.

C&S doesn't 'like' non-mainstream students. Beths have invested in a dyslexia unit and can admirably cope with the whole ASD spectrum. The parents dont like the current C&S Head (although I cant remember why)

Cant comment on BGS - never hear anything about it, never see untoward behaviour with the students. Excellent reputation for languages and music though. I work in a non-selective school and the MFL dept are always so helpful for me, they go out of their way to provide resources.

Bue Sun 16-Oct-11 19:26:34

I know a student at Bexley who is very happy there and thinks it is a wonderful place. And she is a really delightful teenager.

Smadarama Sun 16-Oct-11 19:50:29

Thank you all so much for the replies - BGS & Beths are really taking the lead now. Alongside reading your comments I have been doing my homework reading the prospectuses, and BGS & Beths really stand out as much more suitable for DS with their science & maths focus. I'm really looking forward to the open mornings now - BGS tomorrow, Beths on Tuesday.

troisgarcons - thanks - As well as being really proud of him I'm very grateful that by getting the guaranteed place he has effectively removed the allocations stress in March.

Smadarama Wed 19-Oct-11 20:22:37

Just to say we've made the decision. DS fell in love with BGS (although personally I felt Beths had the edge ) and I can see that BGS would be a good fit for him. I was also really impressed by the HT's & children's talks at BGS. So BGS it is. Thank you all for your help.

ImpYCelyn Wed 19-Oct-11 20:23:42

I hope he has a lovely time there! smile

Smadarama Wed 19-Oct-11 21:43:45

Thanks very much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now