Talk

Advanced search

moving from a comprehensive to a grammer school for sixth form

(9 Posts)
mumslife Thu 13-Oct-11 22:15:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

troisgarcons Thu 13-Oct-11 22:51:07

C&P a post I did earlier today:

Y8 is a possible move on the 12+ but in reality if a child has been in thenon-selective system, even after a year, they are that far behind their grammar counterparts it is very difficult to catch up. Even in Y12, non-selective kids that have done amazingly well at GCSE find it incrediblly difficult to transfer into grammar 6th forms -they are 2 years behind, the ethos and work ethic is so different.Most of the grammar kids have started at least one A level in Y10, and have 2 or 3 AS's under their belt upon entering Y12.

I have children in both systems, and I cannot labour the point enough about the volume of work and self discipline needed.

Rivercat Thu 13-Oct-11 23:02:39

I think it depends on the schools. I also have kids in the two systems, the comp is good, and the grammar doesn't accelerate, focusing more on enrichment. My DD found it difficult adapting to a new school, and certainly found she was behind in languages, which she dropped after AS. But she still came out with A*,A*,A in her A levels, so wasn't significantly disadvantaged. What made a bigger difference to her was that she moved with a group of her friends from the comp. There was a bit of a divide between the kids who had gone right through the grammar and the ones who came in at 6th form, and being with her friends helped to overcome that

tallulah Thu 13-Oct-11 23:13:33

My DS moved from high school to grammar for 6th form. He had trouble with maths in that there was a whole section of the curriculum he had never been taught. Other than that I think he was OK and passed his A levels.

Obviously depends on the school though.

goingmadinthecountry Thu 13-Oct-11 23:14:46

My daughter is Y13 in a Kent grammar. Some of her friends came from non-selective schools after Y11 and are doing really well including applying for Oxbridge - she also knows people from older years who did the same and are now at university with a clutch of As/A* so it's definitely doable. Equally, a number leave after a few weeks because they find adapting to the work/ethos hard.

Also her school does not start AS work till Y12 - it's hard to have the sophistication needed for the essays.

I'd say attitude, motivation and aspirations are important. Also how well you fit in socially. Incidentally, I am frequently told that those from private schools find the transition to grammar hard because they have not learnt some of the skills needed to think for themselves fully enough. That's only an observation made to me by friends who teach at other schools by the way - I'm not trying to start anything!!

scarlettsmummy2 Thu 13-Oct-11 23:23:52

I went to a grammar school, and new pupils joined for a level, coming from the local secondaries. I know they tended to find it very hard to fit in, and found the children that had been there for years 'snobby'. I would suggest that your daughter chooses to go to the boys school as all the girls will be new so integration will be much easier.

Can't really comment on academic pressure, however my foster son is at a comprehensive and the lack of homework in comparison to what my husband and I had is shocking, as is the general laid back attitude of the school. Might be a culture shock, but not necessarily a bad one.

Theas18 Fri 14-Oct-11 08:31:49

Eldest just gone to uni from a grammar that took some comp "graduates" into 6th form. Didn't really seem t be an issue. THe girls I know about are the ones who were mostly at primary with DD and just failed to get in at 11+. DD also made great friends with a few of the "new girls" that she didn't know.

However there were only a few (10%?) places for outsiders and they would have been carefully selected as the academic top flight of the applicants, so they would fit in fine.

mumslife Fri 14-Oct-11 13:49:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scarlettsmummy2 Fri 14-Oct-11 22:06:34

I wouldn't worry about wether she is clever enough- not all will be superstars- I am in my late twenties, my husband is thirty, my brother and brother in law are both 25, and we all went to the same grammar school. I don't think any of us are stupid, and all went to university, but I wouldn't say that we are anything special!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now