Talk

Advanced search

parents of yearv8's upwards -year 7 parent needs advice please!!

(22 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

webwiz Wed 12-Oct-11 08:01:52

yes definitely let the school know for your year 7 DS. Just explain what you've said here to his form tutor.

TanteRose Wed 12-Oct-11 08:03:43

am not in the UK, but I would tell the form teacher of my DD (13). NOt overprotective at all, IMO.

would just say that his father is in hospital, everything is a bit disrupted and to contact if you if there are issues at school

sorry to hear about your DH btw sad Hope he recovers soon smile

Theas18 Wed 12-Oct-11 08:05:03

Tell them what you've told us. Schools do want to know about things like this that may affect them in school. There is also pastoral support available if he needs to talk etc

whoknowswho Wed 12-Oct-11 08:05:42

My DS is in year 7 but my friend has DC in yr 10 and yr 7 and she had a similar situation and yes let the school know. Email them and explain. They need to know, Yr 7 is hard enough anyway the staff should be very understanding. Good luck and hope things get better for you and your family.

OddBoots Wed 12-Oct-11 08:11:30

I would let my boss at work know if I was in your ds's position so letting the teacher know for a Y7 child seems absolutely fine.

sevenoften Wed 12-Oct-11 08:28:21

I would let them know, even if my dc was in the upper sixth. (Work in a school - we would expect parents to let us know.)

MrsWobble Wed 12-Oct-11 08:50:14

i let my year 7 dd's form tutor know last year when her grandfather died. she seemed to be dealing with it all quite well but i wanted to make sure that she was treated sympathetically at school if necessary so just sent an email to her tutor.

Ooopsadaisy Wed 12-Oct-11 09:00:02

Year 8 and 11 here.

Yes - we have a Student Services dept who assist with pastoral care of students. I let them know when my granny died because both DCs were very close to her. When DS was in year 8 and DD at primary I let both schools know when our poor old cat had to be put down - again because both DCs were sad.

It's not over-protective - you are not asking for special treatment or anything.

It's just like going to work and explaining to your colleagues that there has been a bereavement or that you have outside problems so to excuse you if you're a bit quiet or out of sorts. DCs won't explain because they'll feel embarrassed or angry so they might be misunderstood. I think it's good parenting.

CarrotsAreNotTheOnlyVegetables Wed 12-Oct-11 10:31:14

Yes definitely let the tutor know - it is their job to help with this kind of thing. They will be grateful to be kept informed as it enables them to do their job of looking after your DC's welfare.

We emailed class tutors when i had a health scare and emergency surgery earlier this year. They were grateful to know and were able to be understanding when homework was not kept up to date due to running to the hospital every evening. It must be a very worrying time for your DCs even if they are not showing it to you as they may want to protect you. Issues are more likely to show up at school so they need to know.

You are not being overprotective, just being a responsible parent.

I hope your DH has a speedy recovery and best wishes to you at a very difficult time.

mummytime Wed 12-Oct-11 11:02:29

Let the school know, I would let the head of year (or head of keystage) know as well as form tutor. Lots of school have people specially trained in counselling, and teachers can and will make some allowances when there is a genuine reason.
I hope things get better for you all soon.

senua Wed 12-Oct-11 12:28:10

Definitely let them know. Will he be put in sets soon? Sometimes it can be difficult (or take a long time) to move sets, so try to ensure that the school assesses him correctly i.e. takes mitigating factors into account

seeker Wed 12-Oct-11 12:45:51

I would. Email or drop a note. My dd was in year 10 when her elderly grandma was ill in hospital and I emailed her form tutor. He replied and said they really kile to know this sort of thing so they can keep a discreet eye.

cat64 Wed 12-Oct-11 16:29:38

Message withdrawn

Bellavita Wed 12-Oct-11 16:32:20

Yr7 and Yr10 here. I would let the Head of Yr and form tutor know. You have absolutely done the right thing.

MindtheGappp Wed 12-Oct-11 17:21:53

Yes, definitely let the school know. Absolutely.

PotteringAlong Wed 12-Oct-11 17:24:09

Definitely the right thing to do!

eatyourveg Wed 12-Oct-11 19:27:57

Y9 Y11 Y13 here Y11 at a different school but sen and have emailed Y9/Y13 school several times over the years regarding Y9 child whose issues have had an impact on home life. School have always been grateful for being kept in the loop. Definitely let them know would be my advice.

cricketballs Wed 12-Oct-11 20:57:32

as a HoY I would defiantly want to know so to be able to support your DS.

When there are issues like this then I email the staff who teach the child and the school mentors/support are also informed therefore everyone involved is able to fully support and understand what is happening.

Clary Thu 13-Oct-11 01:27:53

yes def right to email tmmj.

I work in a secondary school and we have had a very informative list of issues with the new year 7s which we have all found very helpful in flagging up any possible issues. We still care even though they are so big grin

Hope DS's dad is better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now