Talk

Advanced search

Define "connotation" for Y7 English. I know what it means but cant describe it to ds!

(10 Posts)
bunny3 Sat 24-Sep-11 08:58:54

Ds has to write sentences using a list of words. This one has defeated me! I dont know why but I just cant explain to him what it means. Can anyone give a simple explanation/example. TIA

ForYourDreamsAreChina Sat 24-Sep-11 09:00:45

hidden or underlying meaning, implied meaning.

The connotation of something is what we infer from it, adding a value judgement of some kind.

You call someone "madam" or "a madam" (pinching example from an ongoing thread) and the 2 connotations are quite different!

LIZS Sat 24-Sep-11 09:02:48

suggestion, implication, association ie a meaning that isn't explicit and requires a specific context to pick it up

bunny3 Sat 24-Sep-11 09:07:13

Thank you

"hidden meaning" sounds simple enough for ds (English not his best subject).

I need a really simple example for ds. Maybe something food related?!

LIZS Sat 24-Sep-11 09:13:10

spicy ? hot ?

Fuctifano Sat 24-Sep-11 10:56:23

When introducing the concept of words having connotations to pupils of this age I always show them how words have a definition, i.e what they see when looking it up. Then I describe how words create ideas in our heads that we connect to them. I use colours as a staightforward example - black yes we can look up its meaning but when we think about black our minds connect black to darkness, death evil. HTH

pozzled Sat 24-Sep-11 11:03:26

Try thinking of two words with a similar meaning but different connotations e.g. compare 'soldier' with 'warrior' or 'cook' with 'chef'.

EdithWeston Sat 24-Sep-11 11:11:32

It's an underlying or linked meaning:

For food, you could try something along the lines of Pot Noodles - not just a convenience food, but a really sleazy one: you don't think "hot snack, not one I really like", but fake food for lazy, slum dwelling students, probably male.

You could then go on to role of stereotype in society, and the actions of advertisers in supporting and creating them. But he probably won't thank you for that!

bunny3 Sun 25-Sep-11 14:46:49

Brilliant, thank u everyone!
Edith, your post made me laugh - Ds is used to my rants, he just tunes out now!
I am going to use colour to help explain connotation, its a brilliant idea, loads of metaphores I can use, thanks fuctifano.

coastgirl Sun 25-Sep-11 15:05:46

If I were explaining it to Year 7 (and I have done!) I'd say it's what something makes you think of. So show them a red rose, and discuss how it makes you think of romance, a circle with a line through it makes you think of something being not allowed, a smiley face emoticon makes you think of happiness etc etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now