Talk

Advanced search

to be appalled at the level of education ds1 is receiving?

(76 Posts)
kerrymumbles Tue 20-Sep-11 22:44:41

and how idiotic they assume all the kids are.

dh is shock. he is from Croatia. He can't believe how unchallenging the work is and how behind it is comparable to himself in school at the same age.

I am as well.

Oakmaiden Tue 20-Sep-11 22:46:21

How old is your son?

I thjink that they do certain things in primary school much sooner than we did when we were young (particularly science and maths) but then seem to do no work AT ALL in secondary as far as I can tell.

Oakmaiden Tue 20-Sep-11 22:48:09

Oh - you've posted in secondary education - your son is secondary age then, I guess!

Completely agree with you. From what I can see they don't seem to offer challenging work, and neither do they expect it to be done to a high standard.

kerrymumbles Tue 20-Sep-11 22:48:11

he is almost 13 in 2nd year of secondary (we are in ireland, he is a year younger than everyone else in his class).

I am appalled at the text books.

kerrymumbles Tue 20-Sep-11 22:49:12

We are having arguments because I want his homework to a certain acceptable standard and he says, "It's fine!" waaaahhhhhh

fucking hell.

scarlettsmummy2 Tue 20-Sep-11 22:49:39

I would agree- I live in Scotland and am seriously unimpressed by the comprehensive my foster son goes to in comparison to the school I went to in Belfast. No homework for days at a time, no discipline, appalling uniform code, no team sports for all, half day on a Friday.... I could go on. I was at a conference today on tackling youth unemployment and I think going back to the schools would be a good place to start

80sMum Tue 20-Sep-11 22:51:22

It's a while ago now (20 years), but I remember feeling the same about my DS's secondary school when he started in 1991. The stuff that he was being taught then as an 11 or 12 year old was comparable to what I was doing at about 8 or 9 in junior school in the 1960s. Later on, I recall being amazed by the simplicity of the GCSEs compared with the O-levels that I had taken (and I stil had my old question papers, so could easily comapre). I do think it's irrefutable that educational standards have fallen drastically in the last 30 years or so.

scarlettsmummy2 Tue 20-Sep-11 22:51:42

Where abouts in Ireland are you? If you are in the north is he at a Grammar?

kerrymumbles Tue 20-Sep-11 22:54:04

we're in the south.

we are having tears over him not wanting to do his homework properly. it's fine for everyone else in the class to be an idiot. why can't he be?

dear god...

cat64 Tue 20-Sep-11 22:54:19

Message withdrawn

TheFallenMadonna Tue 20-Sep-11 22:55:22

I'm going to post again, as I always do on these threads, that I have an O level Biology paper from 1982, and I gave it to my top set and they could do pretty much all of it, except the question that said "draw and label the ventral surface on an earthworm". No real loss.

kerrymumbles Tue 20-Sep-11 22:57:20

what type of school do you teach in FM?

scarlettsmummy2 Tue 20-Sep-11 22:59:26

The poor presentation thing is a particular gripe of mine. I do not get how independant and grammar schools are able to enforce a strong uniform code but many comprehensives and secondaries are not. When I was at school, which wasn't actually that long ago, you were simply sent home if you turned up in something that wasn't allowed. And if you messed about in class you were made to sit on a chair outside the classroom by yourself. Apparently that isn't allowed now.

MollieO Tue 20-Sep-11 22:59:41

Is this the school that you camped out all night to get him a place at? Isn't it supposed to be a good school? I think I would be having a word with his teacher.

TheFallenMadonna Tue 20-Sep-11 23:00:27

Comprehensive. Below national average results. Satisfactory (because of said results - teaching good, behaviour good). Which is why I said top set, who would be the equivalent of the O level students back in the day.

TheFallenMadonna Tue 20-Sep-11 23:01:29

I should say behaviour v challenging, but well managed wink

kerrymumbles Tue 20-Sep-11 23:06:54

no he didn't get a place in that school Mollie! Even after camping out 5 days.

It's okay. That school just as crap apparently.

They only have honors in 4 subjects (maths, irish, english and science)

kerrymumbles Tue 20-Sep-11 23:07:25

envisions FM with a whip

MollieO Tue 20-Sep-11 23:10:21

God I'd forgotten it was 5 days. Heavens. Just think how much worse you'd be feeling if he'd got a place at that school and it was crap? What do other parents say about the school your ds is at?

GrimmaTheNome Tue 20-Sep-11 23:11:28

My DD has just started yr 8 (she's 12) - in some subjects (esp history and science) there seems to be more requirement to actually think rather than regurgitate facts than I remember from my school days (I'm 50, so O levels). I wouldn't have said it was unchallenging, and they certainly don't assume idiocy.

She is at a GS but its still the UK national curriculum. Don't know how it compares with Eire.

GrimmaTheNome Tue 20-Sep-11 23:14:49

>Which is why I said top set, who would be the equivalent of the O level students back in the day.

well, quite. Too often when we get these comparisons of O levels and GCSEs people forget that for the majority they should be comparing vs CSEs.

twinklytroll Tue 20-Sep-11 23:16:49

I have taken a number of phonecalls from parents complaining that their children were getting too much homework and that some of it was too hard. There is clearly a lot of variation.

thetasigmamum Tue 20-Sep-11 23:19:35

FM Try giving them an O level maths paper from 1983 and see how they do then. Except they won't be able to do it because a good chunk of the syllabus for O level in 1983 has been moved to A level due to being 'too hard'.

TheFallenMadonna Tue 20-Sep-11 23:28:17

Ah now Maths has changed a lot I know. I did differentiation for my O level, and you definitely don't do calculus until A level now. I was just talking about my own subject. I was surprised myself, but there you go. How Science Works was alive and well in 1982.

GrimmaTheNome Tue 20-Sep-11 23:34:08

I did my maths O level in 1979 - it did not include calculus, we didn't start that till A level. Different boards had different syllabuses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now