Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DDs secondary application - what a mess

(4 Posts)
NotaDisneyMum Sat 17-Sep-11 15:54:43

DD10 has just brought her application pack for secondary school home, addressed to her Dads house.

This isn't too much of a surprise as he's always tried to 'take the lead' in terms of parenting and i seem to remember that he changed her address with the school, GP and local childrens services team soon after he moved out of the family home.
DD spends 50% of her time living with him, I get the child benefit and he gets the tax credits.

All the secondary schools are brand new this year; DD is caught up in the middle of the transition from three tier to two tier - she will be the first yr 7's to go to these schools. Consequently, I'm struggling to choose between schools on the basis of reputation/grades/inspection, as there hasn't been any.

Depending on which address is used on the form, depends which priority area DD is in. I'm really not too hung up either way, but what I am keen to avoid is creating an issue between DDs dad and myself as he's got history of involving her unnecessarily in this sort of thing.

What do I do? Which address do I put on the form?

If we change her address with Childrens Services now, won't they think we're trying to fiddle the system?

prh47bridge Sat 17-Sep-11 16:09:50

Take a careful look at the information in your LA's admission booklet. It will give the rules you must follow. If you are unclear let me know which local authority is involved and I'll see if I can figure it out. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to pust it publicly.

NotaDisneyMum Sat 17-Sep-11 17:42:03

The booklet is unclear - it says that in instances of shared care, the address of the parent claiming child benefit is the Childs address, but the actual 'policy' bit states that if parents of a child with shared care cannot agree which address to use then they will use the child benefit claimants address.

If it becomes an issue with my ex, I'd rather give up child benefit than have him causing a stink with the schools and the local council - which he will do if he thinks that the rules are not in his favour!

CustardCake Mon 19-Sep-11 23:12:50

I would ring the admissions team for advice - your council should have one. I am almost certain they will say that you must use your own address as that is where Child Benefit is paid.
Very few (if any) authorities let parents who claim shared care just decide between themselves which address to use. The reason for this is that Dad (or Mum) could buy a weeny flat near a great school, announce they have shared care of the child and cheat the system into getting a place at any school they choose without really fulfilling the residency requirement. I know you're not doing that and your shared care is genuine but if you put down her Dad's address and this is against policy, you could end up with no school place at all (or not one you want).
Most authorities insist you tell them who she lives with most and use that address. If the answer is totally 50:50 then the child benefit address becomes the default address for that child for the sake of school admissions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now