Talk

Advanced search

Ds set wrong in maths

(15 Posts)
mrsmummy Fri 16-Sep-11 11:55:27

Ds in Y7 started 2 weeks ago, all y7 set for maths from day 1, he is in set 3. His primary school sats were all level 5 and his former headteacher confirmed yesterday he got 97 out of 100 in his maths sat. Have spoken to his head of house yesterday morning who said she would pass all info on to the head of key stage 3 maths, still not heard anything, what do we do now? How lonmg do we leave it before ringing again?? Doesn't help that their is another kid in the same year with the same name

DeWe Fri 16-Sep-11 12:36:53

I've heard of that happening before that names can get mixed up. If you can (subdtly) find out whether the other boy is in a higher set it might be worth querying whether they've been mixed up. Is it possible they've been totally mixed up and are now in the wrong classes too?

mrsmummy Fri 16-Sep-11 12:51:59

school have just rang back to say the matter should be resolved by monday!, but if he has been set wrong for maths it also has a knock on effect for science and ICT and he will have been put in the wrong groups for those subjects as well!!

titchy Fri 16-Sep-11 12:55:07

I wouldn't worry - they'll have everyone in the right sets in a few weeks.

joencaitlinsmum Fri 16-Sep-11 13:56:34

Have they done CAT tests since they have been at secondary school? My DS has sat his this week and they will be determining what sets they will go into from the results of them not from the SATS they sat in primary school.

I'm not saying that your child has unperformed or anything just that they may be looking at it from a different angle?

If you are still unhappy next week then go and ask again, I hope you get it sorted smile

Milliways Fri 16-Sep-11 14:39:49

Don't worry- this is all too common.

My DD was put in 2nd set in yr8, based on results of French exam that she got 100% in and year prize! Phone call made, she then had to change EVERY class and had a few days of not being on any teachers register, and other classes asking where she was etc, but all sorted in a week.

IShallWearMidnight Fri 16-Sep-11 14:42:17

DD3 was set (admittedly in Y3 where it's not so much of an issue) based on how her big sister had done in KS2 sats the previous year grin. Took tghe teacher a couple of weeks to work out what had happened.

TalkinPeace2 Fri 16-Sep-11 16:48:01

DD/DS school shuffles the sets LOTS in year 7 - panic not

CarrotsAreNotTheOnlyVegetables Sat 17-Sep-11 10:02:15

Sounds like they did get the names mixed up but they will be too embarrassed to admit it!

I expect now that they have worked out what has happened they will very quickly put him in correct sets for all subjects. if they do not give them another prod.

Do follow this up as in some schools moving sets can actually be quite difficult as usualy another child has to be moved down.

mrsmummy Sat 17-Sep-11 14:50:21

Well we have been told he will move sets next week though she wouldn't commit to which set!!, apprarently it had also been brought to her attention by one of his maths teachers( she has had him one lesson) that he was in the wrong set! We have also bee told that the first 3 sets all got level 5 in maths sats - that would be around 75 - 80 kids! and not every one could be in the top set!!, reposnded with so how many got over 97 out of 100 like ds did? to which there was no reply!! and the confusion was due to a computer error which lost some data!!!!!!!!!! thanks for all the replys

said Sat 17-Sep-11 14:57:44

I think most secondary schools don't really take a huge amount of notice of the Yr6 SATS tbh (taught to the test and all that) He'll probably be tested again soon and put into sets accoidng to those results. I wouldn't stress about it.

Talker2010 Sat 17-Sep-11 15:29:51

More than half of our Y7s have levels 5 in Maths and English so that is possible

The secondary school would not have the detail re 97/100

Perhaps they use CATs or perhaps they are waiting for the FFT data in November to finalise sets

mrsmummy Sat 17-Sep-11 16:37:16

Talker2010 thats intersting - so would the high school just have been told level 5 or 5a,5b 5c, this is the only high school who doesn't liaise with the primary school - or so we have been told

Talker2010 Sat 17-Sep-11 16:51:47

mrsmummy

we usually only receive level 5 before the summer

more detail comes in November when FFT has been updated (this has been happening earlier the last couple of years)

then we get fine level data (level given to 2dp) so we can differentiate

startail Sat 17-Sep-11 17:04:43

Ours did CATs yesterday. Give them a couple of weeks- you may well have a parents evening just before or after half term and they may do a quick class test around those ( make sure DS revisessmile)
I had to moan about DDs maths/science set and it was much easier once they could see it was wrong from their own results as well as the SATs. (lots of techy parents round here so level 5 science on it's own was not enough)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now