Talk

Advanced search

Finding a tutor for Y8 boys

(8 Posts)
louisea Sun 11-Sep-11 11:37:12

I need to find a tutor, maybe more than one, to help my boys catch up in some subjects. It seems as though their previous school let some things slide. Hopefully this will be for a few sessions only.

My question is, from those of you with experience, is it better to go by recommendation or would I be okay contacting one of the myriad of agencies that advertise online. We've never used tutors before so this is a completly new venture for us.

TIA

cornsylk Sun 11-Sep-11 11:38:34

definitely best to go by recommendation

ImpyCelyn Sun 11-Sep-11 11:43:20

I tutor and I haven't registered with an agency because I don't think it's good for parents or tutors.

People will only normally recommend a tutor if they actually think they've helped/been good enough. With the agencies anyone at all can register and you have no idea if they're actually any good.

louisea Sun 11-Sep-11 11:49:45

My next question would then be "how to find a recommendation"? I don't know any of the parents at the secondary school, only at my DD's primary school. I can ask some of them as they have secondary age children.

I'm keeping fingers crossed that my boys don't burn out early in the year as there are other subjects that the school has to help them with during the school day in addition to possible adding tutors in to the schedule.

Hopefully this will all be for a short period and then we can get on with our regular routine.

noblegiraffe Sun 11-Sep-11 11:51:48

Get your DC to ask the teachers at their new school if they know anyone who tutors.

ImpyCelyn Sun 11-Sep-11 13:31:37

Ask any parents you do know, and get your DS to ask teachers and the school reception. Also ask the primary school themselves. I've tutored both primary and secondary, so the primary school may be able to recommend people.

louisea Sun 11-Sep-11 13:32:45

Thanks very much.

Bellavita Sun 11-Sep-11 13:35:52

We had one for DS (11) through a mum at school - is her neighbour which worked very well. DS has now started high school the tutor (who teaches primary) recommended a friend who is a secondary teacher on maternity leave. We will be seeing her for the first time this week. The old tutor has passed all the work he has done to the new lady so she can see where he is at.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now