Setting year 7

(21 Posts)
maypole1 Sat 10-Sep-11 11:36:41

right son got

5 in reading
5 science
4b maths
3a in spelling

So what set will he be in the teacher said even though he got good marks in science he still may end up in the bottom sets for maths and science because of his poor spelling marks can this be right gurr

He really struggles with spelling but excels in science and I fear if he ends up in the bottom science set any way he might get disheartened

I expect he will be in the top set for science middle set for maths and bottom set for English but then again his reading is really very good

The teacher explained even with in the sets they have sets so top set have 3 sets with in it same for bottom and middle set to be honest I came away even more confused than when i went it

Please help

magentadreamer Sat 10-Sep-11 12:28:12

Maypole, how big is the school, that seems an awful lot of sets! When you say the SET is set again into 3 does this mean they stream them in yr7? My DD had very similar KS2 SAT results and in yr7 ended up in Top set for science and Middle Set for Maths -they do not set for other subjects at her school in yr7. however they were not set till half term (oct). DD's year group was slit into 2 - depending on which house they were in so they also had Two top sets, Two middle, two bottom for those subjects. It might be that your DS school has 3 time tables running hence the 3 top sets etc. DD's school is streamed from yr9.

maypole1 Sat 10-Sep-11 13:10:25

Maybe your right it might be they have two of each sets they are setting next week but the way the teacher described it it just made me confused

They also gave them a cat test so wonder if that also comes it to play gurr

Ilovegeorgeclooney Sat 10-Sep-11 13:26:05

You seem to have been misinformed about the English KS2 mark. Pupils are given a level combined of Reading/Writing, spelling is only a small part of the Writing paper. It will be his overall English Level that affects his setting, in fact reading is far more important than writing in science. Where I work dyslexics are often in top set science

ptangyangkipperbang Sat 10-Sep-11 13:55:41

At DSs school they totally ignored SATS results and based streaming on CATs.

spanieleyes Sat 10-Sep-11 14:09:49

Spelling only accounts for 3 out of 50 marks on the KS2 writing paper and 3/100 of English overall so poor spelling will have little impact on setting.

maypole1 Sun 11-Sep-11 00:11:55

So are the sets based on the cats on the stats or a bit of both

They were being a boy cagey about the way they set it didn't help that dd was sitting their so I didnt push to much but I would really of liked to see dd teacher alone really

MaureenMLove Sun 11-Sep-11 00:17:42

Your DS will be put in the set that is right for him and a set which will give him the most help he needs to gain is potential, surely? If he is excelling, he will be moved into another set and equally he will be moved if he is struggling. Any school worth their salts, will do this.

I think its far too early in the year to be worrying about it tbh.

carpwidow Sun 11-Sep-11 00:17:55

It's ever so early on in the academic year and you will probably find that the school will carry out many of their own formative assessments (which will be observations of you DS and his oral responses + his written work). You will probably find there will be a bit of moving around but by October half term they will have him in the right place. It really is a little too early in the school year for you to worry and if he is in a set that is not challenging enough the teachers will soon see that he is a fish out of water and move him up. Honest. You must remember that teachers are under a lot of pressure to get the best results they can and they will soon push a child up if they think it will improve their levels. Don't worry yet. Review it again after a term.

carpwidow Sun 11-Sep-11 00:18:37

maureenmlove a woman after my own heart smile

mumslife Sun 11-Sep-11 09:32:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

roisin Sun 11-Sep-11 09:52:06

I agree with maureenmlove.

At the school my boys go to they are not set at all in yr7 (yes, I had my doubts, but it works amazingly well).

In yr8 they have "high aptitude" sets for most subjects, but then the other classes are mixed ability. We haven't even discussed with ds2 whether he's in high ap or not, the teachers don't mention/stress it to the students. They are put into the class most suited to their needs.

At my school we don't tell students "this is the top set", or whatever. And we will review all sets at half term and move children around if it seems appropriate.

maypole1 Sun 11-Sep-11 11:05:08

They are put into the class most suited to their needs.

so basically setting i personally dont see the issue why dance around the subject i am sure you dont but i think most people would have a fair idea

i dont want dd to dis hartened but hes not he said if i am in the bottom set mum i will just have to work harder

but i just want to know so i can adjust what the tutor is doing at home with him

cory Sun 11-Sep-11 11:08:28

Your ds sounds very mature and sensible. Ime it is not that difficult to work one's way up the sets, nor should it be impossible to do well at GCSEs even if you are not in the absolute top set.

MaureenMLove Sun 11-Sep-11 12:19:35

I've always hated the term 'sets' tbh. It can make some children either disheartened or too confident. I have always said to my DD, 'the class you are in, is the class that is best for your academic needs'.

TalkinPeace2 Sun 11-Sep-11 13:19:13

when DD was in year 7 they totally ignored the SATs
they tested the lot in the first two weeks and then set them
2 each of 5 sets
Maths/science
Humanities
Languages
and remaining subjects taught in tutor group
students moved around the sets every half term till they settled
now they do a minor shuffle once a year

as the current year 8 are nationally weak at literacy (due to changes in the NC when they were in year 1) the school decided NOT to set in year 7 except for maths - to give them a year to find true ability

DS is currently in year 7 and is THRIVING on it - but the sooner setting comes in for languages the better for him!

setting (as against streaming) is essential to allow every child to have a voice in the class - mixed ability maths/science teaching at secondary is bad for everybody
english / humanities are different as there is no defined right and wrong

carpwidow Sun 11-Sep-11 14:16:18

Another thought - sometimes the "sets" and put together using additional factors and not just SATs results. i.e. Access to a TA for additional support/intervention work; personalities of the children in each set - class dynamics is very important -balance of boys and girls, etc. As long as the teacher embraces formative assessment methods and personalises the learning for each child, through individual target-setting, it should be fine. Within one NC level there will be a huge range of ability - a child may just have scraped a level 4 - others may be almost in to a level 5. It's all about teachers knowing each pupil and their individual needs.

bruffin Sun 11-Sep-11 21:26:24

Maypole I wrote exactly the same post 5 years ago will try and find it later

DS was 5a for science 5b for maths and reading and just scraped a 4 by one mark for writing.

His cat scores were high in top 5 per cent

His school uses both sats and cats for setting.

He was in top class for science,mfl,humanities, art and music and 2nd class for english and maths

He is now in year 11 and has gone up to top class for maths and down a class for mfl in yr8 because we asked for it. He was also put back in the special needs register. He had been on there most of juniors but because he managed a 4 he was taken off it.

bruffin Sun 11-Sep-11 21:31:12

here it is, it was actually 4 years ago and I was christywhisty in those days

Theas18 Mon 12-Sep-11 08:03:27

I love the term "class best suited to your academic needs" that sums it up perfectly. TRy not to stress about it, your son has a great attitude to learning and progress. sets are fluid and they move depending on how each child is doing.
At the girls school they pretty much don't set at all ever and at DS school it isn't till GCSE - he is in the 2nd set for maths (still hitting targets for and A*) and very happy there- he feels that the pace would be too fast for him in the top set.
The "not settling" only works well because these are selective schools so a naturally bright/uber bright group. A mixed ability group IMHO needs to be setted to allow everyone to achiever their best especially in english and maths.

HSMM Wed 14-Sep-11 08:47:02

My DD was streamed in Yr7 (based on CATs and SATs). She was put into the top stream for all subjects, so while that was great in her strongest subjects, she struggled in her slightly weaker ones.

Now she is in Yr8, they are set, so she has stayed in the top set for her strong subjects (ie dance) and a mixture for the other subjects and is much happier.

My DD is rubbish at spelling and the English Head said it is important, but not as important as the content of her writing. He also settled her mind about her joined up writing style (which primary always stressed about) and said as long as he can read her writing, she can write in any way she likes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now