Talk

Advanced search

Ernest Bevin

(16 Posts)
madgirl Fri 09-Sep-11 14:22:05

hi all does anyone have any info/feedback/anything to share about Ernest Bevin SW17? it is the only secondary that I know we would def get into (sep 2012) but it doesn't fill me with hope and joy.

gazzalw Sun 11-Sep-11 18:20:02

I have heard bad things about it (gangs) but cannot really comment as haven't even been to look round it! Would be interested in others' comments too!

madgirl Sat 17-Sep-11 13:31:18

does anyone here actually have a son there?

gazzalw Sat 17-Sep-11 16:41:11

Just been reading a Bevin school newletter that I picked up. Quite impressed by the info and amenable to the idea of it. Again have heard there are gangs operating in the school but again it's probably fourth hand information. SIL's friend's husband works there and she is always keen to promote it!

blueemerald Sat 17-Sep-11 18:45:20

I went for a job interview there as a Cover Supervisor in July (am not working there now). I have to say that for a boys' school it impressed me. The Deputy Head gave the candidates a tour and the boys were mostly polite (holding doors, letting us past in the corridors etc), the rest just ignored us really. He also pulled several of the students upon their uniform (putting blazers on, changing out of trainers etc) and they complied straight away. I taught a lesson as part of the interview and the boys were well behaved and a real range of ability.

The Deputy Head did admit to a gang problem but stressed they were super strict on gang colours etc and had helped several boys move away from gang connections.

The pastoral care seemed really good too, and the sports facilities are absolutely amazing.

gazzalw Sun 18-Sep-11 07:35:54

Thanks Blueemerald - useful.
At least the Head was honest - the issue is whether the gang problem is a problem for the other pupils - I guess what I'm trying to say is it that certain boys are involved in gangs out of school or does the whole gang culture manage to pervade school life and intimidate other boys....?
DS is quite sensitive and not very worldly and would hate for him to feel that he had been thrown into the lions' den... On the other hand it might be that he would be entirely unaware of anything...
Sorry rambling

basildonbond Sun 18-Sep-11 11:01:49

We spend quite a bit of time there for sports things. The facilities are fantastic and really well used by the local community. The teachers I've come into contact with are enthusiastic and want to do their best for the kids.

There certainly was a big gang problem in the past - I don't know if it's been completely resolved but it's a lot better than it was. It used to be that parents from the dc's primary would burst into tears if their son was assigned EB and that's no longer the case, partly because Graveney's catchment has expanded so that anyone going to EB this year was going out of choice.

However, if you're in the area at the start or end of the school day it's very obvious that the chattering middle classes who make up quite a bit of the population of the immediately surrounding streets are not sending their kids there (apart from Fiona Phillips)

gazzalw Sun 18-Sep-11 14:14:35

Fiona Phillips son goes to Ernest Bevan?
And what's this about Graveney's catchment area having expanded - how far - do you know.
Interesting to hear all this info and much appreciated...
It is the whole gang thing which is very off-putting and DS is not a street-wise child so not keen to expose him to that type of issue....

basildonbond Sun 18-Sep-11 15:14:46

don't know exact distances I'm afraid, but anecdotally children in the dc's primary who wouldn't have stood a chance of getting in 3-4 years ago got in no problem this time round (older children who live much closer didn't get in when they applied)

all last year's y6 at one of the local primaries got in if they wanted to go

gazzalw Sun 18-Sep-11 15:24:24

That is exciting and encouraging as it's actually our closest school but we are out of Borough!

basildonbond Sun 18-Sep-11 15:54:59

hmmm don't think it goes as far as the border with Merton or Lambeth I'm afraid - it's just that children who could hit the school from their back garden with a well-lobbed cricket ball are now fairly confident of getting in and a few years ago that wasn't the case at all ..

gazzalw Sun 18-Sep-11 15:57:59

PS Which local school was it Basildonbond - this is very important information for our CAF form school considerations....it could make all the difference! Any further info would be much appreciated....

Balhamum Mon 19-Sep-11 14:56:14

Any-one got an update on the Ernest Bevin Gang thing? I am checking out local schools for next year and would like to know...

gazzalw Mon 19-Sep-11 17:12:06

I guess you might have to go to an open day or open evening and get a feel for yourself - either by the way the teachers/Head handles the issue of gangs or by judging the children themselves.
As a friend pointed out all schools have gangs of a type even if they aren't the 'colours' and weapon wielding variety.... no school is immune....

Balhamum Thu 06-Oct-11 11:25:47

Just visited Ernest Bevin and was blown away by the facilities and very impressed by the behaviour / level of engagement in class etc of the boys. Its exam results are on a par with Chestnut Grove which is our other realistic choice.

What does it mean that there are no Ernest Bevin parents on Mumsnet though? Perhaps this school is still out of favour with the chattering classes?

madgirl Sat 15-Oct-11 17:28:36

thanks everyone who has posted on this thread- very useful. we are 50/50 for graveney and ernest bevin would be our second choice. I feel worried that the school would "drown" ds, who is a bit of a sensitive soul, and fear the school spends more time on social control than teaching, sorry if that sounds harsh but....by the way they were ofsted 10 days ago and got outstanding. is it really true that fiona phillip's son goes there?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now