Talk

Advanced search

Y7 and 8- How do you manage with after-school care?

(10 Posts)
Erebus Tue 06-Sep-11 09:36:56

Not- thankfully- my problem right now but it could be!

What do families do with their 11-12 year olds for the sometimes 2 1/2 hours between secondary finishing and a parent getting home at 5.30pm?

Whilst there may be a wave of posters who think it's preposterous that an 11 year old shouldn't be left alone day in, day out for that length of time, I am sure there are many more whose 11 year olds are quite 'young' and vulnerable- and who wouldn't relish the 'independence' of sitting alone in a silent, darkening house in winter for 2+ hours!

So what arrangements do people have in the absence of 'after-school club' for this age range?

Erebus Tue 06-Sep-11 10:50:10

Anyone? Surely there must be parents out there with this ishoo!

Lucycat Tue 06-Sep-11 10:53:00

I'm lucky in that dd2 goes to a child minder after school who has a daughter in year 8 at the same school that dd1 has just go to (this morning - eek!) so she can walk back there and watch TV until I pick them up. I'm a teacher though so I can pick up a bit earlier if needed.

Are there any after school clubs? or homework clubs - a lot of schools do them.

Well with mine, and had I needed to, I would absolutely have left them to get on with it, but there are three of them, so maybe that's different. Mine were all perfectly capable of making themselves a sandwich and settling down to watch television do their homework.

I should imagine, though, that it would largely depend on the child.

Cromwell44 Tue 06-Sep-11 11:10:09

This age is problematic for 'child care' ,my year 7 daughter clearly felt and expressed that she wasn't a child and didn't need to be cared for! I don't think being alone after school, particularly at the start of year 7 was good for her and I always wonder whether this contributed to her taking a long time to settle at her new school. She spent some after school time at the child minders with her two younger brothers, she wasn't happy about it but I think it was better for her and I think the Cm enjoyed having her as a change from her 3 boys and my two! Once the boys got into year 5 & 6 she picked them up from primary school and they muddled along together. The boys came home from year 7 onwards but they had the advantage of an older sibling in year 10 being around.

I think it's companionship rather than safety that's the issue at this age.

CeliaFate Tue 06-Sep-11 13:22:57

I think a child minder is the usual option, unless there are friends/family/neighbours who they could call if they needed someone to help them out once in a while.
I'd be happy to leave dd alone for a few hours, not happy to leave ds alone at the same age as he is much less responsible.

happygardening Tue 06-Sep-11 13:29:34

I agree with Cromwell44 I work shifts and left both my DS's at home on their own they are 14 and 13 but I would be more reluctant to leave a child under 12 on his own for more than a couple of hours. When they were younger 11 and 12 I would leave them for a couple of hours on their own but knowing there was neighbour who they could turn to if they had a problem which of course they never did. I'm not sure who needed this back up probably me.
I also think a lot depends on your situation years ago we lived in a really rural area no houses for over a mile so if they do accidentally lock themselves out its a bit of a way to get help

Erebus Tue 06-Sep-11 14:13:50

The DSs also go to Holiday Club and I'm always surprised there isn't a bigger demand for 11+. DS1 is 12 and attends an 11-14 group whilst his brother (10) is on the same site but in the 6-10 group. The latter is always full but numbers can be quite low in the older group. I know my 12 year old wouldn't be at all happy at being at home from 9am to 5.30pm, but even 3.15pm to 5.30pm on a school day can be looong on a winter's evening!

I am wondering because you seldom see CMs mention that age range (guess they make more ££ from all-day toddlers!). My mother currently, bless her, waits at the house for them, til DH gets in at 5.30 on the 2 days I work late but it strikes me she won't be able to do this for a lot longer, or even the maybe 2 years I'd like someone to be here for the boys... I'd definitely leave them to it at 12 and 14!

cat64 Tue 06-Sep-11 19:47:22

Message withdrawn

losingtrust Thu 08-Sep-11 19:13:53

Most kids round here at home alone when they get to secondary school. It is considered normal here. My DS year 7 is alone for about half an hour but would not leave him longer than that. Tonight I was fifteen minutes late back and he also had DD with him (7). He went to a holiday club in the summer and will probably go next year but that is it. Mainly because I also have a DD and she will only go if he goes. He would rather be at home but I would not leave him alone all day as very lonely although he is sensible enough to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now