Talk

Advanced search

WJEC Latin Qualification

(6 Posts)
Leeds2 Mon 05-Sep-11 19:04:06

Hi!

Does anyone know what the WJEC Latin qualification is? My understanding is that it is equivalent to two GCSEs but, not being an actual GCSE, isn't included in school league table results. Does anyone know anything about this? Have to confess that I have never heard of it!

Thanks.

LovetheHarp Tue 06-Sep-11 09:38:37

Bumping for you!

Is this any help?

Leeds2 Tue 06-Sep-11 17:29:24

Thanks for the link, ravenousbug. I think I now understand what the course teaches, but I don't know whether it is regarded, in real life!, as worse, the same or better than a GCSE, iyswim.

PonceyMcPonce Tue 06-Sep-11 17:34:24

Does the infor show a points equivalence? If so, you can see here how it compares to a gcse

www.education.gov.uk/performancetables/16to18_09/d4.shtml

I suppose it depends what you need it to mean - I would presume that it wouldn't be a bar to A level study, whether it counts or not towards, say, 9 GCSEs which may be required for studying English, French and Music, for example, but I would be wary of using it as a stepping stone to A level Latin and thence maybe to a Classical/Latin degree, as it's then a lot more crucial that it counts, IYSWIM... I've been screening training contract applications for a law firm this summer, and while A levels and degree obviously count, GCSEs have nothing to do with scoring and therefore successfully going through to the next round, so any "damage" would be short-lived.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now