Talk

Advanced search

did ask this on a thread - but for more traffic - how can you question a gcse result?

(18 Posts)
slartybartfast Fri 02-Sep-11 10:20:29

if course work gained a B, how can the final exam be an E.

BelleEnd Fri 02-Sep-11 10:22:29

I did this. The coursework was interesting, so I did it well, but couldn't much be arsed with the exam. Do you think someone's been unfairly graded?

slartybartfast Fri 02-Sep-11 10:23:49

just wondered. it is ds. so perhaps he as you, couldnt be arsed.

TheFallenMadonna Fri 02-Sep-11 10:25:12

Have you seen the moderated result for the coursework?

hocuspontas Fri 02-Sep-11 10:25:25

Well it's down to the weighting of the course work I would think. E.g. it might only be 20% of the total marks. If you can't find what you want on the websites of the examining boards and also there are some threads that have been running this past week on similar queries then I would make an appointment to go in and talk to HOD in the next week or two. If there is reasonable cause for a re-mark I think you only have a couple of weeks left.

I've spent the best part of a week trying to understand dd2's mark sheet. Some schools apparently give a lot more information that others.

slartybartfast Fri 02-Sep-11 10:26:28

thanks
good idea.

Oakmaiden Fri 02-Sep-11 10:28:03

If he was entered via a school then they will query it if they think the marking is likely to be wrong.

Why not ask them what they think?

senua Fri 02-Sep-11 10:37:48

I believe that appeals etc have to come from the school, not the parent or pupil, so you are best to speak to them first. Also, explore all avenues because sometimes if you go down Route A then it precludes you from doing Route B (can't remember the details but it's something like, say, if you have a returned paper then you can't afterwards ask for a re-mark).

Exam Boards are not infallible. We have been there and got the T-shirt.[grr emoticon]

Jamillalliamilli Fri 02-Sep-11 16:15:30

To me it would suggest either the courseworks a very small percentage of final grade or he’s likely to have got a very low E, F, or U for the actual exam which has dragged the overall mark down badly, and might want to look at re-sitting that module if it’s come as a surprise. (I’m going of an AS level grade boundaries)

Kez100 Fri 02-Sep-11 17:19:31

Sounds like a poor exam and coursework standing for little. Or coursework downgraded from the school's marking. The results sheet should show the grades.

My daughter had the latter - although not quite so extreme as your DC.

Coursework worth 75% submitted as a b,b,b. Moderated to a c,c,d. Exam final 25% grade d. Overall a D (just 2% off a C). It's gutting but unless the teacher says there is some scope for error in the moderation changes, that's life I think.

At least my daughter got the Grade she actually scored in the exam. So, she'd have likely been no better off under a full exam type assessment (oh, forgetting the literally hundreds of hours she spent on the coursework I suppose!)

slartybartfast Sat 03-Sep-11 10:43:26

to make matters worse, it was a retake, for which he got c originally, blaming it on a bad teacher and a class of disruptive kids. new teacher hoped to turn it around. hmm

slartybartfast Sat 03-Sep-11 10:44:24

so the school marks the coursework but the examination board remarks it?

Oakmaiden Sat 03-Sep-11 10:47:49

Generally the school marks the coursework and then the marking is moderated by the examining board. Which means they will look at a certain percentage of the papers from a school and check they agree with the marking. If they don't they will ask for the whole lot to be remarked, I think.

TheFallenMadonna Sat 03-Sep-11 11:03:14

No. If they disagree with the marking, then they either up or downgrade the whole entry by a certain number of marks. If it is a retake, the originál will stand.

slartybartfast Sat 03-Sep-11 11:05:01

confused

smile i see i think thanks.

Oakmaiden Sat 03-Sep-11 11:05:45

Oh, OK. I knew the first bit was right, but wasn't sure how they went about giving them new marks (which is why I said "I think"). smile

TheFallenMadonna Sat 03-Sep-11 11:24:08

It's always a bit of a worry when you are doing a new spec that you are getting the marking right on the coursework. And we don't find out whether there has been an adjustment until the results come out ourselves. I am always very careful to sy "unmoderated coursework result" and hedge bets with grades for coursework too, even though I have been teaching the same spec for years and am pretty confident I am applying the criteria correctly. We are doing a new spec from September though with year 10, and I shall fret a lot about it. Understanding how to apply the criteria is more than just getting the marking right of course, it influences how you prepare your students for the coursework. you have to get it right. If there is a big mark down, the school will act pretty promptly in getting more training for the subject staff, but sadly that doesn't help your son and other s affected this year. If it is a coursework downgrade rather than a weighting issue.

Kez100 Sat 03-Sep-11 14:27:56

My daughters was a long standing teacher, long standing paper and still marks were adjusted down. That bit I am surprised about, but accept that's the way the cookie crumbles. He is only human - I just hope their moderators are better at marking than him.

However, in addition (and this bit I am annoyed about) the coursework grade boundries have changed! How? When nothing else has. If my daughter had produced the exactly the same coursework last year, marked at exactly the same marks as the exam moderator gave her this year, she would have been awarded a C. This year she got a D (losing the C by 2%). That is very, very wrong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now