Talk

Advanced search

What % do you actually have to get to get A/B/C etc in A levels???

(9 Posts)
CocktailQueen Sun 28-Aug-11 22:53:08

My DSS has just sat A levels in ICT, PE, Health and Social Science and a B Tec in PE.
He got a B in the B Tec (no exams, just assessment-based during the 2 years) but we are not clear what he has got in the other subjects. His course work for all has been good, with him usually getting Bs and Cs with some merits. But after the actual exams, he says he failed 2 out of 3 examns in health and social sciences so he has failed the whole thing - he has ASD and can be quite vague about things but can this be right??

What percentrages do you need to get to pass? Is it like the old A levels so 70%+ = A, 60-70 = BG, 50-60 = c, less than 50 = fail??? Or something else?

If anyone can shed some light I'd be grateful.

Talker2010 Sun 28-Aug-11 23:04:19

He should have a document from his school

Letters in lower case will usually give module (individual exam) results
Letters in UPPER case will usually be the overall grade for the subject

noblegiraffe Sun 28-Aug-11 23:04:20

The percentage needed to get each grade changes for each exam depending on how difficult the paper was.
The grades go A, B, C, D, E, U (which is a fail). In maths (don't know about other subjects) a U would be roughly under 40%.

I'm not sure why you're not clear what he got in his A-levels, didn't he get his results the other week?

Talker2010 Sun 28-Aug-11 23:07:36

Oh and ... Btec results are usually Pass, Merit, or Distinction rather than A,B,C etc

roentgenium Sun 28-Aug-11 23:30:26

In terms of UMS (unified mark scheme?) marks you need 80% for an A, 70% B, 60% C and so on. The problem is these UMS marks don't translate directly to percentages on the actual exams, so for some papers you might need more than 80% raw marks to achieve 80% UMS and for others less (it seems much rarer to need more than less though). The actual weighting given to coursework varies between subject and board too. Most of the specifications seem to be on the web, so if you google GCE + <exam board> + <subject> you should be able to find more detailed info on his exam structure.

ellisbell Mon 29-Aug-11 08:30:02

Is there no-one at college you can phone to discusss it? He should have a piece of paper showing the UMS for each module. If you do extremely badly in the exams that can outweigh good coursework but you should be considering if there has been a mistake by the exam board or if he should consider resitting his exams. If you want to post exam board and module marks (or personal message them) I'll try to explain. The system has changed, it is confusing now.

quirrelquarrel Wed 31-Aug-11 21:57:17

80% is an A
70% B
60% C
and so on

Talker2010 Wed 31-Aug-11 22:24:43

quirrelquarral

Those % relate to the UMS not to the exam

quirrelquarrel Thu 01-Sep-11 10:23:27

Oh right smile sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now