Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Montessori/alternative in Northumberland

(7 Posts)
AlpinePony Sun 28-Aug-11 11:09:08

hello, I have a friend soon to re-locate to Northumberland with her children. Until now they've been in small very special schools with lots of money, time and staff available. Bienevenue a Angleterre unfortunately. sad The eldest is not going to finish school with 5A*'s at A-level and is more "arts" orientated and unlikely to thrive in a mainstream school.

Are there any alternative/Montessori secondaries in Northumberland? I've been googling like mad and could only find a few nurseries in Newcastle itself.

IndigoBell Sun 28-Aug-11 12:17:27

I don't think there are any montessori secondaries in all of the UK!

And hardly any alternative secondaries either.....

trainedindeliverance Sun 28-Aug-11 13:45:06

My friend's son attends Nunnykirk which is aimed at dyslexic pupils but it has a wonderful nurturing ethos and small class sizes (up to 8). I think it would be helpful for a lot of non-mainstream pupils, not just those with dyslexia, but I suppose it would be an admissions requirement. There are animals on site, opportunities for physical activities, they do entry level qualifications as well as full GCSEs and options including rural science. Subjects like art and photography are very popular.

Saracen Sun 28-Aug-11 23:57:51

Have they tried that independent schools advisory service, I think it's called ISIS? They're looking for a private school, right?

(I do know of one Montessori secondary, but it's nowhere near Northumberland!)

Maybe home education would appeal, so the eldest could do whichever subjects he or she likes, at whatever age seems best, and could choose the most suitable method of tackling them?

IndigoBell Mon 29-Aug-11 06:51:47

Where's the Montessori secondary? Anywhere near me? smile

AlpinePony Mon 29-Aug-11 10:44:43

hi everyone, thank you for getting back to me so quickly. Unfortunately I don't think public school will be within their budget so I think they're just going to have to try and find a "naice" school - and if he has to spend longer on the school bus than his siblings then so be it. I was wondering if there might be a better "standard" of school in Hexham (i.e., plenty of money washing around).

There's a massive difference between not achieving much academically and getting your head kicked in every day for being "different". sad

I'm not sure home education would be applicable either at this juncture in their lives.

Saracen Mon 29-Aug-11 13:05:40

IndigoBell, it's near Oxford: http://www.oxfordmontessori.co.uk/senior-school/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now