Talk

Advanced search

GCSE results: Can someone help me with a Spanish OCR grading?

(7 Posts)
hocuspontas Thu 25-Aug-11 17:21:40

Dd2 has achieved a C in Spanish. I have been looking at the modules that make up this mark and I'm confused on how it has been arrived at.

Her individual grades are -
Listening Higher - 57 marks (b)
Speaking - 88 marks (b)
Reading Higher - 60 marks (b)
Writing - 63 marks (d)

Added together is 268, resulting in a C. If the first three modules had been (c)s then I could understand a C overall but I can't see (on this limited amount of info) why she didn't achieve a B overall. Can anyone explain to a layman please?

noblegiraffe Thu 25-Aug-11 17:34:17

I don't know anything about GCSE Spanish, but it is possible that the papers were weighted differently, with the writing weighted higher than the listening and speaking. A low D on a paper that counts for a high percentage of the final grade could pull the overall grade down to a C.

cricketballs Thu 25-Aug-11 17:51:47

check which board, then go to their website and look through the grade boundaries for each unit and the overall.

My DS has had 2 results pulled down due to low marks on one paper (despite gaining A* in coursework and high B grades in other papers)

hocuspontas Thu 25-Aug-11 18:22:59

Thank you both. Yes, from the website it looks like the speaking and writing papers are 30% of the total and the listening and reading are 20%. I'm sure the overall mark is correct but I might ask the teacher to explain it further when we go back.

lazymumofteenagesons Thu 25-Aug-11 18:45:01

My son did these spanish papers. He has a results sheet which shows what each is out of as follows:
Listening /80
speaking /120
reading /80
writing /120

So add up all your marks and they total 268, divide by 400 gives you 0.67.
This is 67% which is a C.

hocuspontas Thu 25-Aug-11 19:11:52

Thanks for that. So do you get a B if you get 70%, a C if you get 60%, and a D if you get 50%? Or are the grades not as straightforward as this? If they are, she needed another 12 marks on the writing paper to achieve a B overall - not worth asking for a re-mark!

lazymumofteenagesons Thu 25-Aug-11 19:48:00

Yes I think the grade boundaries for the modified scores are as you say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now