Talk

Advanced search

help me understand GCSEs

(16 Posts)
kiwibella Thu 25-Aug-11 11:18:38

my dd just picked up her Year 10 results for four subjects (three sciences and English). They aren't quite as marvellous as we expected or as her report indicated she should achieve. However, she isn't concerned because she will do them again next year. What I don't understand is how these exams contribute to her overall results... and should I worry yet?

hocuspontas Thu 25-Aug-11 11:23:13

Completely pointless I've always said. Just costs parents more for retakes. All that time wasted doing revision, past papers and taking exams in year 10 when they could be studying in depth instead of learn a bit, take a module, learn a bit more, take another module. Especially those multiple-choice science ones, what's the point of them?

As you can see, it annoys me!

kiwibella Thu 25-Aug-11 11:28:52

hocus... I don't understand the system at all!! I'm struggling to stay one step ahead of our dd. The stress from her taking four exams this year was... stressful. I'm dreading when there are more next year.

noblegiraffe Thu 25-Aug-11 11:46:31

They will contribute towards a percentage of her final grade. So if she scrapes a C in her other modules but got a D in this one, it could pull down her overall grade to a D - therefore it is worth resitting. Also, it is the best mark that goes through, so if she does even worse in the resit, the first and better mark will be counted and the resit ignored.

cardibach Thu 25-Aug-11 13:07:29

Multiple choise science exams, hocuspontas ? Not on the board my daughter does (WJEC). OP they could count towards final results if your DD wanted them to. As they aren't as good as she would like, she can resit and have the better marks used. My DD went from an D in a Jan module for Bio to an A*, mainly because of the kick up the arse not doing well gave her. Modules can be good, though I'm not actually a huge fan.

cardibach Thu 25-Aug-11 13:07:37

choice*

noblegiraffe Thu 25-Aug-11 13:12:15

Gove is getting rid of modular exams from 2012, hocuspontas.

hocuspontas Thu 25-Aug-11 13:19:25

Yet another change! I'm glad to hear it though.

hocuspontas Thu 25-Aug-11 13:21:03

Edexcel did the multiple-choice science modules. Dd2 reckons she did two. One last year in year 10 and one this year.

noblegiraffe Thu 25-Aug-11 14:06:11

Edexcel did a multiple choice maths module for a few years too, but scrapped it because it was blatantly crap. I think the only reason they introduced it was because it could be marked by a computer and thus saved on paying people to do it.

hocuspontas Thu 25-Aug-11 14:13:37

Have they scrapped it from this year then? I'm looking at dd2's GSCE results today and they did 3 multiple choice modules, one for each subject. She got two Ds and a B which contributed to her overall Additional Science grade of a C. She might have done better if they had been scrapped last year!

hocuspontas Thu 25-Aug-11 14:15:17

Ooops! Sorry, misread! I thought you meant the Science M/C.

cat64 Thu 25-Aug-11 14:20:35

Message withdrawn

kiwibella Thu 25-Aug-11 14:21:08

so, my dd can resit these exams? I hope so!

kiwibella Thu 25-Aug-11 14:22:20

noble, my dd blamed her lowest mark on her teacher. I'd like to see that in a job interview - I got a C because my teacher was hopeless.

VoldemortsNipple Thu 25-Aug-11 19:16:08

Same boat here kiwibella

DD got a C in English and was expecting an A. In her coursework she had straight As across the board, so her exams must have been woeful.

she has various marks for science from A* down to an E! She did have exams in February that she said the whole school failed because they hadn't been taught what was in the exam. How true this is though I don't know.

She seems to have an overall result of D for science. We were not even aware she was getting a final result for science.

I haven't even disscussed it with her yet. I'm so disapointed and annoyed with her because I know she hasn't put the effort in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now