Talk

Advanced search

Latin HELP !!

(4 Posts)
CabbitMel Wed 24-Aug-11 08:23:13

Hi, My 13 year old daughter has been studying Latin privately for 3 years (2 lessons of 1 hour duration per week). She will be ready to take a GCSE in a year apparently (her tutor has informed me). Problem is that she wants to stop with the Latin now as she is about to embark on her GCSEs in September, this year (her school are starting all the children on their GCSEs a year early). Can anyone please advise of a qualification that she could take to demonstrate her 3 years knowledge of the subject? Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks smile

Lizzywishes Wed 24-Aug-11 15:19:55

Cambridge IGCSE do an exam intended for end of Year 9 called Checkpoint, or similar for English and Lit. Might be worth looking at their possibilities for Latin too?not sure how it works - think it might be for marking in school rather than sending to official exam board markers, but it would be something.

VideoEtTaceo Wed 24-Aug-11 16:52:18

Hi CabbitMel,

Well done to your daughter for doing so well in her own time - it would definitely be a shame if she studied for so long without a qualification.

Is she using the Cambridge Latin Course? If so, I'm assuming she'd be on around Book 3.

Have you looked at the WJEC Latin exams? They are fairly new - they have separate certificates in Language and Literature. Your daughter might be able do the Latin Language one - try talking to her tutor about it. I believe it's the equivalent of an IGCSE, and I've seen students who have studied up until the end of CLC book 3 take it and do very well.

Hope this is helpful.

CabbitMel Thu 25-Aug-11 14:08:08

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your advice. She is about to embark on Cambridge Book 4. I think I will have a chat with her tutor upon return from her holiday. Kind regards ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now