Talk

Advanced search

AS results - DD passionate about a subject she's not good at....

(9 Posts)
Caughtinmiddle Tue 23-Aug-11 09:09:05

DD got her AS results last week - B's in Psychology, Chemistry, C in Biology (though v close to a B) and a D in Music Technology.

She's really keen to work in the music industry and has loved doing Music Tech. She's in a band and goes to gigs to watch local bands. However, she shows no passion for developing her skills further in Music Tech - hasn't asked to set up a home recording setup, doesn't get the mags, etc, and I've been through the marks on her AS and worked out that the best she can probably do is bring it up to a C.

She also has an interest in Psychology - her Dad and I would prefer her to do the sciences - with her results she can easily get 3 B's and could probably bring the Psychology bit up to an A.

However, she would be absolutely gutted to give up Music Tech.

So the questions are.... Are the A2 courses significantly harder than AS or is it just more of the same given that the results count equally towards A levels, and how hard is it to carry on with 4, given that she managed the first year? Also, are there any on-line careers tests you can do which match up capability and interest (we tried the Stamford one on the UCAS site and it was pretty pathetic, didn't tell us anything new.)

She had a pretty traumatic first year, moving from school to college - her choice, breaking up with boyf, ending up on antidepressants and now with counselling. So I feel I should be grateful for her results. Her GCSE's were great - a batch of A* and A's, so she's got the potential.

I have tried to be realistic with her and have made her aware of the maximum potentials of her results. I know that it is important to do something that you love, but you also need to be good at it. She won't take in what I say, I think she needs someone else to give her advice but don't think the college will be the place to do it.

Just need a rant and to get some feedback on others' experiences. Thanks.

DialMforMummy Tue 23-Aug-11 09:19:52

Yes, A2 courses are harder then AS courses.
If I were her, I'd give up the music to focus on the other 3 subjects and would retake some units in January.
She needs to realise that she does not necessarily need to have an A level in music to work in the industry.

Majorca Tue 23-Aug-11 09:29:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Majorca Tue 23-Aug-11 09:36:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kez100 Tue 23-Aug-11 10:05:07

If she is passionate about it as a career, I think you have to look at the options for that subject. It has to be her choice because she is the one doing the work. Otherwise you stand the chance she won't work at any!

Try and look at where she wants to go and work backwards to A levels. See what she needs and then speak to college about how she can get there using the skills she has.

senua Tue 23-Aug-11 10:12:55

Can you come to a compromise? She agrees to buckle down to work and get the best A2 results possible (realistically, that means ditching the Music Tech) so she maximises her chances for Uni choices. You agree to her having a gap year where she finds that the music industry is full of underpaid exploited wannabes has fun with her music and sees if it doesn't leads to a career.

When she is a year more mature, she might have more idea of what she does or does not want from life.

Have you tried fasttomato for careers? (Caveat: I haven't used it recently. IIRC, no matter what you entered, somewhere in the recommendations would be 'teaching'!grin)
Do you have a Connexions nearby? - get an appointment before it is closed down.

Caughtinmiddle Tue 23-Aug-11 12:35:26

Thanks for the messages - we'll certainly try out the fasttomato site.

I have been doing a bit of digging and Keele offer many joint honours courses that will allow her to do Music Tech and Psychology, and the tariff points are within her reach, so I think that we'll just have to keep on doing some digging and research.

Ilovegeorgeclooney Wed 24-Aug-11 09:46:00

With my teacher's hat on I would say A2 courses require a real interest in the subject and any pupil who feels 'deprived' of doing the subject they love might be demotivated. I agree with senua try and get her a Connections appointment so she feels she has been given impartial advice. Hopefully she will have a more settled year, depression is a hideous thing but in your teens is truely difficult when you are working for exams. Did your school apply for special consideration, it can add up to 5%?

reshetima Wed 24-Aug-11 15:08:22

Sorry to hear about your dilemma. I have no advice about the specifics, but as for careers advice: my DC's school recommends these careers websites:

www.cascaid.co.uk (I think you need a log-in, but you can sign up to a free trial)
- Click on “Kudos” to take a quiz; search careers; and make an action plan.
- Click on “Careerscape” to search, print or e-mail details of 1800 careers.

www.connexions-direct.com
Search careers; ask questions to a careers adviser.

careersadvice.direct.gov.uk
Search careers; take a quiz.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now