Talk

Advanced search

Wanted - Greek (ancient) tutor in Gloucestershire

(7 Posts)
higgle Sat 20-Aug-11 14:11:02

DS2 is just awaiting his GCSE results. He is doing Latin/English/Art and Geography AS2s with a view to doing classics at uni. A couple of DS1's friends are doing classics at the moment and have strongly advised him to do an Ancient Greek GCSE to strengthen his application. We can't find anyone to tutor him at the moment as his Latin teacher doesn't know anyone and we cannot find anyone close enough on any of the internet sites.

We live near Stroud - does anyone know of any ancient greek tutors in these parts?

breadandbutterfly Sat 20-Aug-11 18:31:47

You could try looking/advertising here:

http://www.jact.org/jobs.html

I largely taught myself Greek O Level, as I was ill for the first few weeks of the course so had not the faintest idea what was going on for the rest of the term; I had to work through the coursebook from the beginning in the Xmas holidays and teach myself the basics - hard, but with a strong background in Latin, it can be done.

Don't panic though - the number of places to study Classics vastly outnumbers the numbers of those who have attended schools that teach Greek and who wish to study Classics. Oxbridge historically always took many Classics students with no prior background in Greek. I'd imagine that was still the case; ask a friendly Oxbridge admissions tutor if this is still the case.

CMOTdibbler Sat 20-Aug-11 18:36:44

Kings Gloucester offer greek, so maybe if you contacted the staff there, they would be able to think of someone ?

breadandbutterfly Sat 20-Aug-11 18:40:27

Or try:

www.arlt.co.uk/tutors.php

higgle Sat 20-Aug-11 19:14:20

Thanks for all this advice , DS2 will start work on the contacts.
DS1 is at Oxford and two of his housemates do classics, they have spoken to DS2 and advised him to do the Greek GCSE. We know you can do a classics degree from scratch, but apparently it is much harder.

iskra Sat 20-Aug-11 19:24:40

There used to be a Greek summer school run at Bryanston in the holidays - 3 weeks,with a variety of level of classes from beginners up. I went years ago as a beginner & it was very good. I was told at the time it would look good for UCAS.

happygardening Sat 20-Aug-11 20:30:07

I know an outstanding ancient Greek/Latin teacher but he's based in Bath. My husband has Latin A level and was very impressed with his teaching and even my older DS who hated Latin at prep and myself (no Latin) wanted to learn Latin listening to the lessons. He teaches all levels including those studying Classics at uni. He does travel we live on Wilts/Glouc border. My son has just sat a very difficult Latin entrance exam at the first lesson he only scored 15% on an old paper, 24 lessons later he got an A in the actual exam an unbelievable achievement. Sometimes we went to his house and at other times he was happy came to us but obviously charged us his travelling expenses. He's also a lovely chap as well. Email me if you want his number.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now