Talk

Advanced search

key stage 3 results- what do they mean?

(7 Posts)
808080 Thu 18-Aug-11 18:58:28

My dauughter recently got her KS3 results, English 7+, maths 7 and science 7. what does this mean? she tells me nothing so although she seemed happy with these results i don't understand them and they didn't come with any explanation. does it mean 7 out of 10? Should i be happy with this? her teacher asssment levels were english 6, maths 6 and Science Ex- would appreciate any feedback.

emilielondon Thu 18-Aug-11 19:56:53

Okay, you should be a very proud mummy! Broadly average for end of KS3 nationwide is a level 5 so your daughter is well above that, though for some schools the average is significantly higher, usually though not exclusively I have to say in the wealthier areas. A 7+ means she achieved at the top end of a level 7 and a straight level 7 means within that bracket. This means she exceeded her teachers' expectations in English and Maths but underachieved by a tiny fraction in Science as 'Ex' usually means 'exceeded' e.g. level 8, which isn't always actually achievable. It's all a bit complicated so I hope this makes sense. This has always been how things are in all the schools I've ever taught in anyhow! Your daughter is clearly a very bright girl and her teachers should be pushing her for A grade and higher at GCSE.

maree1 Thu 18-Aug-11 21:57:34

Can't help thinking that the school should have explained the scores to parents.

bossboggle Sat 20-Aug-11 18:17:36

WOW!! What a proud parent you can be!! For the SATS at the end of KS3 a child should leave with a level 4 in science, english and maths. If they leave with a 5 then they do well (my DS scored three 5's). In the average English comp a level 7 can be achieved at the end of year 7 or even in year 8, the first two years of senior school - so congratulations to your daughter!!

EvilTwins Sat 20-Aug-11 18:18:43

bossboggle - KS3 is the end fo Year 9. You're talking KS2.

kritur Sat 20-Aug-11 19:53:10

The end of KS3 scores should be taken with a view to her prior achievement as well as her raw level. Level 7 is the highest score at the end of KS3 except for maths where they can score an 8. I suspect she was probably on 555 at the end of primary so she has made the expected 2 levels of progress in her 3 years at secondary school so far. Broadly speaking a Level 5 at KS3 suggests about a C at GCSE, Level 6 a B and Level 7 an A with a good deal of wiggle room around (it's only a guide really). So she is at the top of the range of achievement for KS3.

ibizagirl Mon 22-Aug-11 08:23:23

My dd has just turned 12 and got level 7a and 7b in all subjects apart from pe. She didn't even get a "well done" off any of her tutors except for her form tutor. No wonder she sometimes says to me "why do i bother?". On her report it just said that they expect her to get level 8 in year 8 - no praise whatsoever. Plenty of praise from me though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now