Talk

Advanced search

ds got his first geograpghy homework yesterday....

(17 Posts)
haggisaggis Thu 18-Aug-11 13:05:40

To cover his jotter!
I remember doing this at primary school - mum bought sheets of brown paper for the purpose. Do your schools still do this? What do your dc use? (I don't think brown paper is that popular now!)

swearbyit Thu 18-Aug-11 20:27:40

I'm a geography teacher. Cannot fail to be impressed by a section of a map used as a cover. Doesn't matter where of, just maps, maps, maps. Or a nice collage of places your son may or may not have visited - will give him an air of mystery!!! I am a dullard though. With brown patches on my elbows.

webwiz Thu 18-Aug-11 22:18:21

DS uses clear sticky plastic to cover his books.

BikeRunSki Thu 18-Aug-11 22:20:09

My dad used to use wall paper on my books, then I used posh wrapping when I got older.

festi Thu 18-Aug-11 22:24:29

ha ha wall paper, I hated the thick artex type bobbly stuff.

posters of kurt cobain and jonny dep always got ripped off by teachers sad

Jesusgirl Fri 19-Aug-11 16:59:19

I got some clear plastic wrappers from tesco. They're really good.

I remember the brown paper! I schooled in Africa and it's funny we're not the only ones that used brown paper!

TheMonster Fri 19-Aug-11 17:05:49

If you go to Staples you can buy stretchy fabric covers.

TheMonster Fri 19-Aug-11 17:06:40

here

hocuspontas Fri 19-Aug-11 17:17:04

Brown paper covers brings back memories! We used to whip the front cover backwards and forwards really quickly to see who could produce the best firework-type crackle!

pointydog Fri 19-Aug-11 17:37:44

The dds use wrapping paper that we have in the house. Then they jazz them up, sometimes in a ridiculously elaborate fashion.

cat64 Fri 19-Aug-11 17:45:22

Message withdrawn

pointydog Fri 19-Aug-11 17:46:00

I used to use pages of Smash Hits. Wallpaper was soo primary.

BehindLockNumberNine Tue 23-Aug-11 07:34:32

Ds had to do this last year in all his subjects, but the instruction was to make it relevant for the topic. So he chose maps and famous landmarks for geography, pictures of the german flag and a bratwurst for German etc. He printed pictures off the internet, stuck them on the jotter and then dh helped him cover the whole thing in sticky back plastic.

ChippyMinton Tue 23-Aug-11 07:39:27

I used the hand-drawn fashion pages from Jackie magazine <shows age>

I love the maps idea, love love love geography.

haggisaggis Tue 23-Aug-11 13:49:14

Didn't look back at this as last time I checked no one had replied!
So it's not uncommon then? He used a car magazine for teh geography (as didn't need to be topic related). He has one for history to do now that MUST be subject related - so off to find suitable pictures. (Apparently old cars will be OK - I can sense a theme..)

ExitPursuedByATroll Tue 23-Aug-11 13:51:19

I used to go to the decorating shop and get the old wallpaper sample books. Lots of lurid bumpy stuff. Used to hate doing it.

BehindLockNumberNine Tue 23-Aug-11 13:53:52

haggishaggis - ds's theme seemed to revolve around food (aside from the obligatory landmarks smile)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now