Talk

Advanced search

Is your child taking a Gap Year this year?

(7 Posts)
Jonnyrodders Tue 02-Aug-11 16:13:04

Hi

My daughter is taking a gap year this year and I would like to hear some ideas about what others are doing as I want her to have a worthwhile year out and not just mess about.

I am going to attend The Big Gap Year Show on 10th September in London www.biggapyearshow.com and hopefully get some cool ideas but would welcome any others as well.

thanks

seenitallbefore Wed 03-Aug-11 14:06:39

Hopefully she will attend the event too ?

4merlyknownasSHD Wed 03-Aug-11 14:16:18

No.1 son had one two years ago. Went to Australia and, apart from several visits to relatives (grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins) seemed to spend most of his time partying. To be fair, he had worked as a lifeguard and pool attendent for several months before he went, so had earned the money before he went. He managed 5 weeks work in a Brisbane coffee bar.

I figure that he didn't make the most of it, and certainly didn't do anything like what I did 30 years ago, but then he is not me.

No.2 son can't afford to have one as the difference in costs if he goes to Uni next year are so much greater than if he goes this year.

Bonsoir Wed 03-Aug-11 14:29:34

She could go to Paris/Rome/Madrid and work as an au pair and learn the language. She would (a) pay her way (b) gain a very marketable skill (c) mature a lot.

kakapo Wed 03-Aug-11 15:18:38

your DS1's gap year sounds like it was great 4merlyknownasSHD!

The Gap Years that turn out to be Worth It are usually the ones where the DC has something in particular in mind that they want to do. They go off, try to do whatever it is, and often discover it was harder than they thought. Even if it didn't work out as planned, they have a great time trying and mature a lot. If it's your/our idea then it won't develop the same independence or sense of achievement.

So I would say the actual idea needs to come from your DD, even if you plant the seed wink

mags2024 Wed 03-Aug-11 17:30:14

My son took one - but when his school had its 6th form open day they were very clear it should have a purpose and the the next step in hand. Otherwise 1 year can become 2 or even 3 if said child not sure what todo.
My son had German girlfriend - her parents recommended a language school attached to Dusseldorf uni. It also had the advantage of the only German uni with a cricket club - allbeit run by Newzealanders. Living abroad made him quite self relient. He's kept it going and is almost fluent. l'ed reccomend it

ggirl Wed 03-Aug-11 17:39:19

DD at the end of her gap yah.

Spent 6 weeks backpacking aroung France, then has just finished 3 months backpacking around Canada and finishing in NYC. She had a ball. Saved up fro ages working to fund it.

Some of her other friends have done : building a school or something in Madagascar (2-3 onths I think)
Volunteering in Africa
Backpacking in South America

All of them have thoroughly enjoyed themselves and would def recommend taking a gap yr.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now