Talk

Advanced search

could you give me your honest opinions please?

(17 Posts)
sciencetutor Sun 31-Jul-11 15:47:15

I'm a mum of a 1 year old so I normally post on mumsnet about sleep issues and temper tantrums! But I wanted to ask the advice of some mums of older children if that's okay?

I've stopped teaching full time now to spend more time with my daughter and I've started tutoring instead (partly to help pay the bills, mostly because I love it!) I wondered if you could tell me if you were looking for a tutor where would you look and what would you like to see on the advert? I've put listings on a few websites and I wondered if you could give me opinions on them? Is there anything you'd add/take out? Here it is (and thanks so much for helping!):

Is your child struggling with Science? Or do they need to boost their grades in order to enter their next stage of education? The summer holidays could be the ideal time to begin extra Science tuition with a qualified and experienced tutor, at your child's own pace.

I am a professional teacher with five years experience. I am friendly, approachable and patient and I believe in building a student's confidence to help them achieve their potential. My passion is teaching science to students of all abilities.

For the last five years I have taught:

- Combined Science to Key Stage 3 (Year 7-9)
- Biology & Chemistry to GCSE
- Chemistry to A Level
- A range of examination boards, including AQA, OCR, Edexcel and IGCSE
- In both a comprehensive and an independent school
- 1-1 sessions to students finding science difficult
- 1-1 sessions to students needing to achieve the highest grades for entry into Medicine and Oxbridge

I graduated seven years ago at the University of Liverpool and achieved a Masters Degree in Chemistry with Biology. I then completed my teacher training (PGCE) at the University of Nottingham.

I understand how daunting it can be for students to begin tuition so I am more than happy for parents be present during my lessons. I can provide references and testimonials from my previous students and the schools I have worked for, as well as an enhanced CRB check.

Opening Times, admission and other information

I am able to tutor at weekends and evenings, throughout the year.

I charge between £5 and £25 per hour, depending on:

- the age and academic stage of your child
- where you would like tuition to take place
- whether you would like one-one or small group sessions.

I offer discounts on block bookings, with the first lesson free as a trial. My fees are negotiable as I strongly believe learning should be accessible to everyone.

So there it is! Thanks so much in advance!

exoticfruits Sun 31-Jul-11 16:08:33

It sounds fine to me. It is the sort of friendly advert that I would go for. I have to admit to really wanting someone to recommend, but the fact that you are offering a trial lesson, and I could sit in, would sell it to me.

maree1 Sun 31-Jul-11 17:14:36

Let parents at the schools you have taught at know. Word of mouth about a good teacher giving one to one help ought to gain a few customers. (The school car park is a good 'forum' or make a small leaflet for friendly parents to pass around.)

generalhaig Sun 31-Jul-11 17:18:41

don't sell yourself too cheap! at £5 per hour, people might be wondering precisely what they're getting, or not value your service as much - I'd just put your headline figure of £25 per hour for one-to-one (which is standard tutor fee round here) and mention lower prices for groups

exoticfruits Sun 31-Jul-11 17:26:58

Good point-don't sell yourself short. Once you have customers get them to spread the word-there is nothing better than personal recommendation.
If your full time teaching was local tell them what you are doing and they can pass on your name. I got DSs French tutor by asking his teacher and was put in touch with someone she used to work with, at home with young DCs. I don't think I would have chosen someone 'cold'.

exoticfruits Sun 31-Jul-11 17:28:57

Also tell any teacher friends. I met someone who was setting up as a Maths tutor, speaking to her, I realised she was good and so if parent's asked I gave her name. (I think I should have charged commisssion grin)

sciencetutor Sun 31-Jul-11 18:40:54

Wow thank you all so much for your replies, I really appreciate you helping me.

That's a really good point about selling myself too cheap, thank you! By the £5 I meant minimum per student for group lessons (i.e. if there were 5 students all paying £5 it would be £25 anyway?) but I don't think that's clear in my ad so I'll take that out - thank you! I was a bit worried £25 was too expensive and might put people off? And also because I love what I do and do want to help people (as hugely cheesy as it sounds!) I'd do it for less if someone said they couldn't afford the £25. But its knowing how to phrase that in a non-cheesy, non-patronising manner!

That's a great idea about previous schools and referrals, thank you. I'll speak to my old teacher friends and the parents/ex-sixth formers I'm still in contact with. I wonder if it would be cheeky to ask the school directly or just turn up in the car park one day??! I've tutored some lovely students recently who said they'd pass my details on so now its a case of waiting if they know anyone who needs tuition.

You've given me so much to think about, thank you!

exoticfruits Sun 31-Jul-11 19:01:27

Just mention group lessons without a price-you can work it out if you get a group. In the same way you could lower it in discussion. £25 is the going rate-some charge more. I'd pop into school first and discuss it.

Loshad Sun 31-Jul-11 19:17:51

£25 is not too expensive - i tutored a 6th former this year as a favour for someone and charged £25 - it's the going rate here in yorks, and what any of the kids i teach who are tutored pay - it's more in the south. I don't think i would offer first lesson free either, otherwise your advert seems great.

exoticfruits Sun 31-Jul-11 19:21:06

I don't think that you need to give a free lesson once you are established but it would be a help to start with. I would be the only thing that would make me try someone without a personal recommendation.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 31-Jul-11 19:24:19

As you are willing to receive less per person for a group lesson you could sell it as willing to give discounts to small groups of home edders. That would potentially bring in quite a large net of people for you.

exoticfruits Sun 31-Jul-11 21:51:40

The advantage of home edders would be they were free in school time.

sciencetutor Mon 01-Aug-11 13:08:59

Thanks again for your posts! The home education idea is brilliant, thank you ohyoubadabadkitten and exoticfruits! Is there a particular place home edders look for tuition do you think?

exoticfruits Mon 01-Aug-11 13:30:59

I think it is a great idea as all other ones have to be late afternoon and evenings. I would try here for education otherwise.

exoticfruits Mon 01-Aug-11 13:32:00

I'm not a home educator-I expect someone else could give you other links.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 01-Aug-11 14:19:51

If you are on facebook you could try looking for home ed groups in your county smile

exoticfruits Mon 01-Aug-11 15:35:36

I would think that you would be onto a great thing with that. I have never wanted to HE, but I don't see how I could because I am very much arts orientated, and gave up Science asap, but my DS did chemistry at university-I really don't think he could have done it himself. Science is one subject where good teaching is essential IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now