Talk

Advanced search

is GCSE triple science the same as taking three separate science subjects at GCSE?

(12 Posts)
Rarily Sun 31-Jul-11 15:33:03

Sorry, I haven't been able to work this out - is there a 'triple science' that is not the equivalent of GCSE in biology, chemistry and physics, or is 'triple science' the modern way of saying you'll do a GCSE in chemistry, physics and biology?
Thanks and sorry for being a bit dense!

BitOfFun Sun 31-Jul-11 15:52:59

I think it is the same as three GCSEs, yes.

MindtheGappp Sun 31-Jul-11 15:57:40

Yes, triple science means taking 3 sciences for GCSE options.

Two-thirds of the content is identical to that studied by students receiving two science awards.

hocuspontas Sun 31-Jul-11 16:01:25

One GCSE in Biology, one in Chemistry and one in Physics.

Someone may come along to correct me but I think it's as follows -
Everyone does core modules in B,C and P. This constitutes a single award.
Others may go on to do additional modules in B, C and P. This is the dual award which most students will be entered for.
For those able and willing, higher modules can be taken for B, C and P and will complete the triple. I don't think you can opt to do higher modules for less than all three.

belledechocchipcookie Sun 31-Jul-11 16:10:57

It's not the same as doing them seperatly. It's been a few years since I did my GCSE's, I did combined sciences (chemistry, physics and biology) as this was all the school did. I scored a CC (crap school). I then went on to do A'Levels in chemistry and biology but really struggled as the GCSE's did not give me a good basis for A'levels. Ds is doing the subjects seperatly at secondary school level and they are far more indepth then the combined.

chibi Sun 31-Jul-11 16:15:11

It has changed quite a bit in the last 6 years or so - it used to be thaet students who did double science really struggled at a level as the jump in demand was massive. This is not so much the case anymore.

Hocuspontas' summary sounds right to me; this is what my school does.

MindtheGappp Sun 31-Jul-11 16:16:17

You can, hocus. You could get s Science and Additional Science, but also, eg, Physics. To do this, you would have to do the Physics modules over again - so two sittings of P1a, P1b, P2.

I've never known anyone to do this though.

lazymumofteenagesons Sun 31-Jul-11 18:14:28

You can take single sciences in all or any of chemistry, physics and biology by doing the IGCSE. DS1 did only biology and chemistry.

Loshad Sun 31-Jul-11 19:20:39

or even lazy mum via regular AQA etc - my DS2 has only done chem and biol, both AQA. Tends not to be offered by state schools though.

sillybillies Sun 31-Jul-11 22:53:56

Yes, triple science is the 3 separate sciences but most of the modules are the same as for the science and additional exams (which leads to 2 science qualifications. You complete B1 - B6, C1 -C6 and P1-P6 units which are the same for the science and additional qualifications and then for the triple you add on a separate additional module in each of the sciences B7, C7 and P7. (obviously, different exam boards have different models but all work in much the same way
Also in state schools you are required to take all 3 sciences, either triple science or double science (science and additional science. So its only in private schools that you have the option to do 2 sciences only. You can't be entered for the triple award and the science and additional award unless you want to resit all the units again.

If bright, I would highly recommend the triple science route which is better preparation for A levels sciences particularly chemistry A level.

sorry about not closing the brackets but the button on the keyboard is broken.

circular Mon 01-Aug-11 08:38:26

It varies from school to school how they tackle it, and how early they decide which students are taking triple, if they offer both.

At DDs school they all do core which is B1,P1,C1 and B2,P2,C2. That counts as one GCSE (Core Science).
Those just taking double go on to do B3,P3,C3 and B4,P4,C4 for their second GCSE (Additional Science).
So this is basically two-thirds of the 3 x separate science GCSE
I think there may have at one time being an Extended Science for the final third - but cannot find it on their exam board (OCR) website now.

Those taking triple have separate Biology, Chemistry and Physics lessons.
They take B1 to B6, P1 to P6 and C1 to C6 as 3 further separate GCSEs. So have 4 science GCSEs in total.

I think there are also some schools that take core, additonal AND all 3 separates - which can result in 5 science GCSEs.

marriedinwhite Mon 08-Aug-11 08:47:37

I'm still confused although this thread has been helpful. Is the measure of whether the system works at individual schools possibly to look at the number of children studying science a'levels and the ultimate success rates? I was shocked when I looked at our local comprehensive and the the science teacher on open day was unable to explain the system (we didn't apply) and with a little more research I discovered that not one child was taking three sciences at A'Level and none were taking physics. Being aware of how bright some of the children were at primary this has to be a tragedy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now