Talk

Advanced search

School uniform- just read MUST have official skirt/trousers. Skirt is £18.99

(38 Posts)
HarrietJones Thu 21-Jul-11 19:05:53

WTF?

Erebus Thu 21-Jul-11 19:49:09

OK, it's not what you'd call 'cheap' but really- that's a couple of bottles of palatable wine! It's less than an evening out.

The advantage of a 'set' uniform pair of trousers, or a skirt in particular is it means far fewer of the girls will parade around looking like hookers. Maybe that's way the school stipulates!

My friend's DSs went to a private prep. The Y3 blazer cost £103.99.

scarlettsmummy2 Thu 21-Jul-11 19:50:59

I think it is a good thing- at least it won't be one of those lycra up the backside numbers I have seen so many young girls wearing at the secondary schools in Edinburgh

roisin Thu 21-Jul-11 20:02:43

That is one expensive school skirt; and it's not even pretty!
Do they have to have logos on the shirts too Harriet?

HarrietJones Thu 21-Jul-11 20:04:26

It's calf length & v ugly! Think dd1 will have trousers.

I was told it wasn't compulsory & now it is. I was planning on £8-10!

Just don't know how they can justify it, the school uniform shop doesn't tend to have good quality stuff either.

HarrietJones Thu 21-Jul-11 20:05:47

Thanks roisin( she's seen it)

Shirts still have the option but the real ones are 3/4 sleeves hmm
jumpers/tie/tracksuit/PE kit all have to be logoed

Saracen Fri 22-Jul-11 07:50:44

"I was told it wasn't compulsory & now it is."

Are you sure? Ask to see a copy of the school's uniform policy. This will be a specific statement approved by the governors.

When I pressed my dd's school for the actual uniform policy (not just what the headteacher decided he'd like the children to wear, but the actual policy) they could not produce it. I strongly suspect the school did not even have a uniform policy! I would guess that most schools do have a proper policy, but it might not be the same as what you've been told.

HarrietJones Fri 22-Jul-11 07:53:11

Yes it's on the website. I'm going to phone today & ask about suppliers as there's only one and I avoid buying stuff from them as it's v poor quality

bigscarymum Mon 25-Jul-11 09:48:10

Talk to people who are actually at the school. DDs school have a compulsory skirt (not too bad & good quality) but for the trousers it seems that any black, reasonably smart trousers will do.

HarrietJones Mon 25-Jul-11 09:58:46

Dd1 is refusing the skirt on ugly grounds so that makes things easier! Trousers aren't much more expensive but will depend on the fit as she is leggy.

Will be interesting how many have the skirt in September

doglover Mon 25-Jul-11 11:21:16

Sorry, but I really don't think that's an unreasonable price. My dds school skirts (local comp, by the way) are way more than that but as they're worn everyday, I don't begrudge the price. As a previous poster said, at least it prevents tarty short styles appearing!!

circular Mon 25-Jul-11 13:12:03

Just checked the website for the main supplier of ours (local comp) as not had to buy for year.
Ranges from £20 to £28 according to size.

HarrietJones Mon 25-Jul-11 14:24:35

This is local comp.

I would usually pay under £10. Just paid £6 for dd2 and they went large enough.

I wish I could link without giving away the school as it really is the ugliest skirt ever!

Colleger Mon 25-Jul-11 19:27:30

I never know why there is such a big fuss made over uniform prices. It will be a good quality skirt and when you work out how much two cost over the space of 39 weeks at school it works out at 18p per day for the two skirts!

scurryfunge Mon 25-Jul-11 19:31:01

A state school cannot demand one supplier and one choice of skirt. Challenge it if you believe it is not good value for money.

MigratingCoconuts Mon 25-Jul-11 19:43:54

our school has just introduced a school standard skirt. It had to simply because of the number of girls who were abusing the previous less strict uniform by wearing the hideous tight clingy short lyrca ones.

Without tightening up the policy we were in the position of parents claiming the skirts were ok because they didn't breach any uniform code.

Unfortunatley, the few who abuse a uniform code like this end up making it more prescriptive for everyone else.

HarrietJones Mon 25-Jul-11 19:49:05

I understand the why but it's sooo ugly! This uniform supplier isn't known for top quality/value, I've had loads of stuff shrink/bobble/wear out. Unfortunately no other suppliers stay in business.

There's a fuss made over school uniform because even buying the bare minimum for dd1( luckily she's not a wrecker) will be £300 and then she needs a black coat and a bag. That's not an easy amount to spend in one go for lots of people. I've done dd2 today for £30 and just need a new coat now. Possibly shoes if she grows.

marriedinwhite Mon 25-Jul-11 22:03:46

£18.00 isn't a great deal of money. Would you demur from spending £18 on a pair of skinny jeans for her which she will wear far less? Why is it such a surprise that kitting out for a new school will cost - it happens annually for the parents who move at the end of Y6. FWIW I went to a 2nd hand sale when DS transferred at 9. I bought all the sports kit, long socks, and a jumper for £27.00. Only bought the blazer new and the shirts and shorts came from (M&S). The fees 9 years ago were 4k a term and I wasn't too pround to buy sensibly for the first raft.

Cleverything Mon 25-Jul-11 22:10:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Surely though if you know the uniform bill is coming then it is just like any other expense and you can budget accordingly?

DS1 starts school next September so I will be buying stuff this time next year. I have just set up a standing order into a savings account so that I will have the money there to use, even though it is something that I could fund from our normal monthly budget.

I think it seems like pretty good value when you compare it to the prices of casual clothes.

Hassled Mon 25-Jul-11 22:20:50

Oh this stuff infuriates me - I feel a campaign coming on. I've had a good rant at DS2's school and it's got nowhere. But my research has told me that:

Government guidance is that schools should provide a range of suppliers. Schools or retailers that have exclusive contracts with suppliers might be subject to enforcement action under Chapter I of the Competition Act 1998 and Governing Bodies should ensure that any uniform chosen is widely available in high street shops and other retail outlets, rather than from a sole supplier.

The Local Government Association’s advice is that uniform items should all be available from a minimum of two different suppliers, not counting the school itself, school symbols and logos should be available as sew-on patches and parents should be given opportunities to buy and sell second hand uniform from other parents.

marriedinwhite Mon 25-Jul-11 22:24:00

Funny then that so many wander round in Hollister, Jack Wills and Abercrombie and Fitch!! What's sauce for the goose is sauce for gander hassled.

bruffin Mon 25-Jul-11 23:22:14

DCs skirt cost something like that. They are only allowed one style which is not easy to get outside the school uniform shop. I don't think that is particularly expensive for an item that has to be worn 5 days a week. DD has 2 which have lasted her for 2 years and I am not planning on buying her any new ones soon.

When I was at school we were allowed any style of skirt as long as it was black, so when sunray pleats were in everyone wore sunray pleats, then the fashion was pencil skirts with slits up the side so everyone got those. It was just a fashion parade.

HarrietJones Tue 26-Jul-11 06:53:26

I wouldn't pay £18 for jeans either.

They brought in a new uniform last year & the skirt this year so no second hand stuff available yet( hopefully by the time dd2 goes).

As I was told shirts/skirts/trousers didn't have to be official and now they do it's increased the price dramatically so blown my budget.

I didn't realise how common place these sorts of prices were.

Not sure how they can deal with the supplier issue if everyone shuts down.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Tue 26-Jul-11 11:05:08

Bruffin, you must be exactly the same age as me! Hadn't thought of sunray pleats for years. We could only have slits up to the knee! Kids these days, eh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now