Talk

Advanced search

gifts for teachers at high school?!

(11 Posts)
Bronte Wed 20-Jul-11 18:12:20

Having baked a massive lemon tray bake for the teachers at my DD's primary school, my other DD 12 years, was mightily offended I hadn't offered the same to her teachers. Yikes, hadn't thought about that. Are secondary school teachers deluged with sundry gifts from their pupils or is this seen as really not cool? Happy to send in a thank you cake for them. It just hadn't crossed my mind.

2shoes Wed 20-Jul-11 18:15:31

I never ever gave ms teacher presents

bigTillyMint Wed 20-Jul-11 18:17:23

DD and her friends clubed together to buy their English teacher a leaving present as they are gutted that they can't have her again next year. Apparently she nearly blubbed, and so did they smile

Deaddei Wed 20-Jul-11 18:22:37

I have just dropped in a bouquet for dd's form tutor in yr 9 who is wonderful.
Goes beyond the call of duty.
In fact, I was hoping she might adopt dd smile

magentadreamer Wed 20-Jul-11 18:23:19

My DD yr9 was mortified when I turned up at parents evening with a present for her German Teacher, who is a fab teacher and went the extra mile with DD this year. I practically had to slid the bag under the table to her so no one else could see. I have been banned from ever bringing presents to parents evening

PandaG Wed 20-Jul-11 18:34:09

I had a fair few presents from Y7 tutor group at Christmas and in the summer, maybe 40% of the class was not expecing it at all at secondary school. I think a cake ot share in the staff room would go down very well if your DD wants to take one in.

roisin Wed 20-Jul-11 18:37:57

End of term might be a bit busy. You could drop some cake at the start of September for their INSET day?

I have from time to time dropped in chocolates to the staff room of my boys' secondary school. I also have bought occasional bottles of wine for particular students who have gone above and beyond.

I work in secondary and for me the best thing ever is when a student (usually yr10 or 11) brings me a card that they have bought and written themselves, [sometimes with a small gift though that really doesn't matter] thanking me for helping them.

complexnumber Wed 20-Jul-11 19:05:22

"I also have bought occasional bottles of wine for particular students who have gone above and beyond"

I would have definitely been one of those students!

As a secondary teacher, I can assure parents that absolutely any gift of recognition is extremely well appreciated. I once got given a hair brush as my hair is often shambolic, I was thrilled that the pupil should think about me outside the classroom, even moreso as he had done it with a cheeky twinkle.

Bronte Wed 20-Jul-11 19:11:01

Thanks for all your ideas. Will get my pinny on and commence mixing!

roisin Wed 20-Jul-11 22:20:00

"I also have bought occasional bottles of wine for particular students who have gone above and beyond"

Oops! I meant teachers of course. blush
Need to slow down and proofread.

cat64 Thu 21-Jul-11 00:02:52

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now