Talk

Advanced search

Warwick Boys (Independent) School Year 7 Entry English Exam - Essay Part

(17 Posts)
tectime Sun 17-Jul-11 21:50:04

Hi

Can anyone help, and please provide me with essay titles that have appeared in recent Warwick Boys (Independent) School Year 7 Entry English Exams.

Regards
T

Ilythia Mon 18-Jul-11 22:12:50

DOn't cheat

Theas18 Tue 19-Jul-11 09:28:01

Ask the school if they do past papers or not. If they don't then they are deliberately not wanting over coaching and all you can do is practice general topics. There is no doubt some sort of general teaching resource on line for year 7 creative writing topics eg "my perfect day" or "I walked round the corner and......" etc

tectime Fri 22-Jul-11 17:48:36

Thank you Theas, I did ask the school. Besides a sample paper online, they do not disclose content of p[revious papers. Thanks for responding.

As for you Ilythia, this form of cheating goes on all the time!!!

Ilythia Sun 24-Jul-11 19:32:04

As for me? Lovely attitude. I say don't cheat as your child needs to be able to work out how to answer an essay question themselves, without coaching. If you coach them then it will be obvious and it wil not be looked on well.

And I am well aware of Warwick school and it's pupils so am not just spouting randomly. But you know, ignore me, what do I care.

prudaloo Sun 24-Jul-11 20:55:16

I very much doubt that the school could tell that your son had seen previous topics- presumably they won't set the same ones? Besides, if you had several DC, the older ones would be able to tell their younger sibling, so it's not cheating at all.
As Ilythia said-ignore her! (She can't punctuate anyway grin)

Ilythia Sun 24-Jul-11 23:35:43

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

tectime Mon 25-Jul-11 18:48:12

Ilythia, surely you do not need to swear on here to make your point.

Maybe, you should try scums.net instead!!!

maree1 Tue 26-Jul-11 00:31:03

tectime, google creative writing magic money cards.

Ilythia Tue 26-Jul-11 22:49:13

I don't need to swear, I just enjoy it. Kerrist, I only said wanker. New to MN are we?

tectime Tue 26-Jul-11 23:02:37

Thanks maree1. I liked the site and I may purchase some of the resources.

TheRealMBJ Wed 27-Jul-11 05:59:47

Shop lifting goes on all the time too. hmm

No wonder public school boys (and girls) have such entitlement issues.

Ilythia Wed 27-Jul-11 20:07:36

It's okay TRMBJ, I don't think they can hear us from all the way up there waves

I was trying to make a valid point about not breaking rules but I am now struggling with the urge not to swear all over your thread.

HHollingshead Sun 19-Feb-17 23:25:11

As a Boy who attends Warwick at the moment, I can tell you that the paper I did about 5 years ago involved describing a monster. There was a creative writing paper too but I can't remember the title but your son will be given a choice so my advice is work on one more than the other! Also, with regards to some comments made about those who attend my school, I can say we are not all wankers and indeed, none of us shoplift.

Thanks and I hope I have helped.

Alargegarden Mon 20-Feb-17 07:34:40

Entrance exams for these schools are aimed at establishing whether or not your DS is likely to get good grades at GCSE and keep up with the peer group. The essay questions are a platform to allow him to show what he can - and can't- do. If he can write a coherent story with a beginning a middle and an end and use a range of vocabulary and punctuation correctly, he will be fine. If he has problems reading, writing and spelling he will not - and the school is unlikely to be the right school for him. It's the same with the maths. Does he understand basic maths concepts or not. Experienced markers will know what they are looking for and additional practice on specific essay titles will make no difference at this stage.
I think you risk adding massively to the stress of the exams by doing what you are doing. That is not in your child's best interests.

PatriciaHolm Mon 20-Feb-17 07:52:24

Given the OP was looking to admit her child 6 YEARS AGO I doubt very much she's now reading, or cares every much!

How on earth do people revive these things? and why?!!

AnotherNewt Mon 20-Feb-17 07:55:30

I've just seen a thread where a poster became quite dogged about comments made a decade ago.

I used to think that it was interesting when school threads were added to over the years. But perhaps zombies do need to be locked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now