Talk

Advanced search

How tough is P.E in secondary schools?

(14 Posts)
robingood19 Sat 16-Jul-11 14:09:50

My neighbour has a lad going to senior school soon is is not good at athletics etc

cory Sat 16-Jul-11 14:39:20

In an ordinary state school I think you can expect to find it quite inclusive, with lots of different things to try and not too much pressure. My dd is disabled so she doesn't usually take part at all, but what she tells me sounds quite friendly and reassuring. Ds is going up this September and he is suspected dyspraxic and with dodgy joints, but I expect him to be fine.

mollymole Sat 16-Jul-11 14:43:33

secondary school PE is of a very basic standard- and if there are any good kids then they might find that thier talents are not exactly appreciated - what is usually good is that there are a wide range of 'sports' on offer
cory - can't the school find things for your daughter to become involved in at PE ( i am an athletics coach with extra qualifications in children and disability groups)

cory Sat 16-Jul-11 15:59:08

She has been to one disabled activity day, molly, and there is talk of her doing more, but day to day PE is a bit more problematic: as it is a painful joint disorder, ordinary disabled activities can be a bit tricky, and swimming would require being bussed out of school= missing lessons (which is already a massive problem due to her condition).

bebumba Sat 16-Jul-11 20:17:17

At my ds secondary school the children are set for PE so that children work with others of similar ability. After the first half-term the sets became more fluid with children moving regularly between groups. don't know if this is the case in all schools.

marriedinwhite Sun 17-Jul-11 08:09:42

Not tough enough for the ones who are good at it and too tough for those who aren't. I had hoped the whole culture had moved on since I started secondary in 1971 but since dd started last year it is evident it clearly hasn't. Unless they can deal with it and broaden it out a bit it needs to be optional from Y9 or 10 - just like D&T and Art, etc., ie, the other non academic subjects. Ruined my school days and is ruining dd's too. The PE commandants teachers still need much more supervision and observation than any other breed of teacher.

Goblinchild Sun 17-Jul-11 08:15:02

I don't understand why, if differentiation is essential in other lessons, it suddenly becomes irrelevant in PE.

bigTillyMint Sun 17-Jul-11 08:22:47

It is very inclusive at DD's school, but sporty kids are recognised and encouraged to do extra stuff - they have special extra classes during the school day for them. There are also a myriad of lunchtime clubs and after-school clubs which are suitable for all abilities and offer chances to do stuff like horse-riding and rollerblading. It is a state comprehensive. Hopefully your neighbours son will get some similar opportunities.

However, as others say, I think grouping by ability would be a fantastic idea for PE too - they stream and set them for everything else, why not PE?

Kez100 Sun 17-Jul-11 09:26:30

Our school PE is brilliant. They set to start with and also, within reason, allow children to move( if say they are capable of top set but not very competitive - as top set tends to be). Also, once set, they have sets of planned activities for the year which the sets vote on. So, in many cases they are doing activities they want to do.

There are extra curricular games on offer and those showing e right skills - whatever set - are encouraged to join them.

Both my husband and I hated PE at school. Our two love it. I'm sure it's down to the way it has been structured.

cat64 Sun 17-Jul-11 19:50:42

Message withdrawn

robingood19 Mon 18-Jul-11 10:02:28

thanks for all the posts. Very reassuring.

LauraClin Mon 18-Jul-11 11:21:58

I think your neighbour's son will be fine. As already intimated, most schools and teachers take account of ability; in lessons it is usually effort that gains credit. Do remember too that PE is different from how it was in the past, as children are required to do a range of activities. He may not enjoy athletics, but adventurous activities and dance are included in the curriculum these days.

robingood19 Mon 18-Jul-11 14:25:44

Of course as someone said as ever it depends on the gym teacher.

I have heard it said that some are like drummers and goalkeepers. Slightly up themselves

Theas18 Tue 19-Jul-11 09:40:14

PE at the DDs school is excellent. Highly selective school academically and they have many competing at county level and quite a few international level sports persons. Fab you may say, and good for my youngest who is moderately sporty BUT the eldest is the worlds biggest klutz and has always struggled.

Well, this school that manages to cater for the high end sports participants, also to their huge credit managed not only to include but enthuse DD1to the extent that she even went to gym club at lunch times in year 7 and one teacher spent weeks trying to get her to do a forward roll!! OK she never managed it but she kept going and never felt stupid or hopeless.

The school is great academically, but, with a highly selective intake it should be- the PE department are the teachers that impressed me most especially in the lower school.

DS school (boys, again highly selective) has been great for him but he is trying to be one of their sporting greats. THe only criticism I'd have there is that, as most sports people they have no comprehension that they aren't necessarily the only thing in a chiilds life, and tha they may have other weekend commitments!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now