Talk

Advanced search

Transport to sixth form

(5 Posts)
education16plus Tue 12-Jul-11 14:41:28

Two of my kids will be at sixth form in september, in different towns, as we have no sixth form provision locally. A school bus pass will cost me £150 per term for each child and as a mum on a low income I was hoping to get some help with costs. Not so. The much publicised 'bursary scheme' will only cover the costs for children in care, disabled children and those claiming income support. Are there other mum's in the same position as I am? because all my efforts to get my local politician to help have failed dismally. I'm hoping that more mum's asking the same questions may provoke the politicians into action.

mumblechum2 Tue 12-Jul-11 18:45:50

I got a letter the other day to say that ds's previously free bus will now cost just over £1,000 pa.

He rarely takes it anyway as the school is on my way to work, but I'd like him to be able to use it on an occasional basis but so far despite hanging on hold for ages I haven't been able to find out whether he can just buy a day pass.

How far are your dc's school from home, and would it be cheaper to arrange a car pool with some other parents?

nagynolonger Tue 12-Jul-11 18:56:12

All post 16 in our village have to pay for the school bus which is free for younger DC. I'm sure everyone as to pay even those on free school meals. My 17 yearold goes on the service bus which costs £3.90 per day . Some of his friends pay bus fare out of their EMA. I don't know how they will get to school next term.

LadyLapsang Wed 13-Jul-11 07:45:55

OP, how far will they be travelling? £150 per term sounds like a subsidised amount as I was paying £5.50 per day for a 4.5 mile return journey for my son up until a year ago, (had to pay every day even when on exam leave).

If you genuinely can't afford to pay and you and your partner, (if you have one) don't have the capacity to earn another £20 per week to pay for the bus fares then I think you should make an appointment to see whoever deals with pastoral care or the college's finance officer.

Fairley Wed 13-Jul-11 08:04:48

The largest amount under the bursary scheme is directed towards the groups you name OP but it should still generate additional funds for schools to use at their discretion for those genuinely in need.

We have to pay the same as *LadyLapsang' for the same distance of 4.5 miles and that's the subsidised amount. Others pay more if they live nearer the other local school but choose to go to ours instead.

The college's finance officer will know all the details of the scheme and what discretionary funds are available and it would be up to you to prove need in the usual way (proof of income).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now