Talk

Advanced search

Time off for dd's assembly - is this a reasonable request?

(10 Posts)
sallycinamon Wed 29-Jun-11 16:40:17

Hi
I'm a secondary school teacher and want to have a lesson off (60mins) to see my daughter, who is in Year 1, in her class assembly.
I'm prepared to take the time off unpaid.
I still think the Head will say no though.
I wouldn't bother to ask but my husband can't go and I missed her nativity this year because I was at work myself so would like to see this assembly.
Is this a laughable request?!
Anyone else been allowed time off for such things?
Thanks

TechLovingDad Wed 29-Jun-11 16:41:19

Why don't you ask and find out? Unfortunately, we won't know what the head will say.

hocuspontas Wed 29-Jun-11 16:47:55

I think those of us who work in schools limit the amount of times we ask for time off to see our children performing. If you feel confident that the HT will allow this a reasonable amount of times over the course of your dd's education, I would go ahead and ask, otherwise maybe just limit it to special occasions e.g. major part in a play, special award assembly etc. Good luck though!

Mutt Wed 29-Jun-11 16:51:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mnistooaddictive Wed 29-Jun-11 17:23:56

My suggestion is to see who is free when you merchant the cover. If there is soneone you could ask to cover you that may help I.e. To tell the head "Glendale had said she is happy to cover me"it may help your case!

bubblecoral Wed 29-Jun-11 20:54:34

I think you need to decide how important this assembly is, because if something bigger comes along, you won't be able to ask as easily next time.

Can you find someone to cover? I think you need to go to your head with the answers to any questions she will have, like who is going to take your class being the biggest one! Who will plan the lesson, why do you think you will be able to miss this lesson without detriment to your class etc.

Try and think of any concerns she may have and be able to reassure her.

Tbh, I think as a teacher you are going to have to get used to missing some of your dd's school events, lots will come up and it would be very unfair to your class and your colleagues if you attempted to do this more than once in a school year.

Hulababy Wed 29-Jun-11 20:56:33

Depends on your head. Some are flexible, some not.

I work in a primary school, although no longer as a teacher. I have been granted the morning off in July for DD's speach day assembly. I work PT so have already done the hours elsewhere.

Our HT is pretty good at being flexible over things like this with all the staff.

Danthe4th Wed 29-Jun-11 21:01:44

What is so important about the assembly? Is she doing a solo performance or something that she can't show you at home.
Can someone not record the important bit for you, or can her dad or grandparents go to watch.
As a parent of secondary school children I wouldn't be impressed if every teacher was able to have time off to see their children, because if she says yes to you she has to say yes to any other teachers that make the request.

RafaNadalIsMyLoveSlave Wed 29-Jun-11 21:02:21

A class assembly - I'd be surprised if you got time off, tbh.

As a secondary teacher, I feel your pain but have learned to save such requests for when it really matters - child getting a prize, for example.

sallycinamon Thu 30-Jun-11 00:17:26

Thanks for your responses. I'm not going to bother asking as fortunately dh can go now.

I've never asked for time off for anything like this before, have only had one day off all year (dd ill) and knowing that other members of staff take time off at the drop of a hat thought it was worth considering. But have seen the light - it clearly was an unreasonable request. I'll wait until I need time off for something really important.

I think I had lost all sense of judgement!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now