Talk

Advanced search

FRENCH TEACHERS-HELP!

(8 Posts)
Hullygully Tue 28-Jun-11 08:48:10

ds 14, is really struggling with French. I need books to help him and a good dictionary and verb table recommendation. His school don't seem to give out a text book, or teach how I was taught <old gimmer> with rote learning of verbs etc. He has no idea of any basic rules. Please help!

My French is horribly rusty and I don't trust it at all.

Hullygully Tue 28-Jun-11 10:44:40

Bump. Le bump even

kat2504 Tue 28-Jun-11 12:18:59

An oxford school french dictionary has a verb table section in the middle of it. However, that doesn't mean he will understand the notion of conjugating verbs. Many of the GCSE guides explain things quite well, perhaps you could get a couple of those. The foreign language section of waterstones will be able to sort you out with some textbooks and perhaps a grammar practise book for gcse level. Does he use a text book at school but not allowed to take it home as they have to share? If so, order a copy of the same book so he can go over his work at home.
Unfortunately these days learning things off by heart seems to be passé. Hence why kids struggle so much with language learning. Lots of regular practise, learn avoir/etre/aller etc off by heart, repeated practise with the verb endings.
I'll have a look on line and see if there's anything useful on the net. But I learnt gcse level spanish by getting textbooks from Waterstones so a bookshop should be a good start.

kat2504 Tue 28-Jun-11 12:21:30

www.languagesonline.org.uk

Can't believe I didn't think of that one already. Click on Francais, then select grammar. also good for vocab work.

suzikettles Tue 28-Jun-11 12:24:55

I saw some great work books while I was France a few weeks ago. Basically they were homework/extra practice type books for French 7 year olds but they covered all the grammar with loads of examples and I'd have found them so useful if I'd had access to them when I was 14.

You might get something like that on www.amazon.fr but I guess it'd be difficult to know what to get just seeing it online.

Hullygully Tue 28-Jun-11 12:26:38

Thanks - I'll head down the bookshops.

kat2504 Tue 28-Jun-11 12:33:13

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-French-Verbs-Malvern-language/dp/1898219141/ref=sr_1_32?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309260719&sr=1-32
This is a useful little book, I have seen in in schools but I didn't know you could buy it off amazon. Handy sized for taking into school, has lots of verbs in it.

kat2504 Tue 28-Jun-11 12:43:07

Also French Grammar 11-14 , a pupil book. Which is actually in stock. Have found lots of lovely books for younger ones too. Amazon is great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now