Talk

Advanced search

Location of School Admission Appeal

(5 Posts)
EMMJAY Fri 24-Jun-11 21:48:57

Attended my daughter's appeal hearing this week. A very stressful experience, not sure how it went. The Admissions Authority refused (or didn't know how) to answer my questions about the School.

I wanted to know from anyone else who has gone through an appeal if it is usually heard in the concerned school. I'm asking because I was under the impression that the Admissions Code states the venue should be in a neutral place. Anyone know about this ?

smartyparts Fri 24-Jun-11 21:51:03

Ours was in a local hotel.

HSMM Fri 24-Jun-11 22:14:54

I went to 2. One was in a village hall and the other was in a hotel.

admission Fri 24-Jun-11 23:28:15

The school admission appeal code says in paragraph 2.23 that a neutral venue other than the school concerned should be used for the appeal whenever possible. Should in legal language means that it is best practice to do it that way and the school can demonstrate if challenged that they are justified in not using a neutral venue.
Under normal circumstances I would say appeal to the LGO about this but you should be aware that the current consultation for a new code will actually allow the school to be used. So I am not sure how the LGO would now view this as it is not a legal requirement to be obeyed only best practice. However given that you also have issues over not answering questions, which they should do, I would go for it.

EMMJAY Sun 26-Jun-11 22:21:58

Thanks everyone. Keeping fingers and toes crossed until decision letter arrives....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now