Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

We're looking for Secondary school in SW London or Surrey - for child with Aspegers

(14 Posts)
amumof2 Thu 16-Jun-11 14:09:47

He is v sensitive but does well academically. So would want a school that also caters for bright children. The main priority is that it a kind school with good pastoral care and some experience of children with ASD. Does anyone know of a school that might be suitable?

mummytime Thu 16-Jun-11 14:30:01

What kind of a school? Independent or State? Special or Main stream?
What needs does he have, what are you looking for?

titchy Thu 16-Jun-11 14:45:01

St Andrews in Leatherhead comes with a top reputation for pastoral care. I know a couple of ASD kids there doing well. catholic but I think admits non catholics.

alice15 Thu 16-Jun-11 14:49:54

If you are looking at independent, Thomas More in Farnham has a wonderful reputation - but it's boys only and not a mainstream school - lots of boys with Aspergers etc, some of them very bright. I know a couple of people with sons there who can't praise it too highly - but your son may not be the right fit - have a look at the website if you want to know more.

alice15 Fri 17-Jun-11 13:03:55

Sorry, More House - got the name wrong yesterday!

greenpilot Fri 17-Jun-11 17:20:29

Centre Academy, Battersea.
St Dominics, Surrey.
Unsted Park, Surrey.
The Moat School, Fulham.

All of these are private special schools but cater for academically bright children. Also agree that More House is excellent.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sun 19-Jun-11 13:12:31

I'd post in SN as well.

dizzyblonde Mon 20-Jun-11 16:21:27

I can reccomend More House in Farnham, my ASD son goes there and is very happy.

amumof2 Wed 22-Jun-11 11:37:42

Thanks for all your replies. I only just saw them as I had a pc problem. We are looking at state or independent. But I am expecting that we will have to go indeoendent.

He does well academically but he finds it hard to get on with other children, is very lonely and stresses over small things. So he would need a caring environment and a school where the staff know the children, so not too large.

I have posted in SN but I think there are not so many reading the messages so am trying here too.

More House looks wonderful but is too far. We will be moving and planning to be in the Wimbledon area, but possibly Kingston or Surbiton. I think he could travel up to one hour door to door, although less would be better.

claricebeansmum Wed 22-Jun-11 11:42:02

I know from experience that Claremont Fan Court in Surrey (Esher) is a very caring school and does take kids with SN and SN support is good for those with moderate SN. It is a Christian Science school but don't let that put you off - we never met anyone there (apart from staff) who were CS. Seemed that staff could only see good and potential in students and not overtly religous IYSWIM.

Has good but network - easy from Kingston

MigratingCoconuts Wed 22-Jun-11 18:20:09

How about Priory school, Dorking? It is a nice small in Dorking and all the staff know the kids very well indeed. I've know other Aspergers children be very succesful there.

MigratingCoconuts Wed 22-Jun-11 18:20:57

ok...Just read the post saying you can't travel out that far!!

EllenJaneisnotmyname Wed 22-Jun-11 20:09:01

SN children is the only busy board in SN, and that is really busy! Good luck.

amumof2 Thu 23-Jun-11 10:09:07

MigratingCoconuts thanks yes it is a bit too far. If it were close to the station it might have been OK.

greenpilot I had not thought of special schools as he is v bright, but the schools look really interesting so I am now considering that.

claricebeansmum I got the feeling it was a caring school, but I didn't know, so it's good to hear that and it does have quite a lot going for it.

Thanks I will also try SN children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now