Talk

Advanced search

GCSE,s treat for my daughter

(23 Posts)
mumtotherescue Sun 12-Jun-11 17:17:13

My DD is nearly finished her GCSE exams. Not too sure whether to treats her with her hard work revising as way of money now or treat her on her exams results in August as in so much money for each grade ?

DialMforMummy Sun 12-Jun-11 17:34:36

If she worked hard, then she should be rewarded for it. Especially, if she's not too academic and might not achieve grades that will reflect her efforts.
If you don't think she work THAT hard, I'll reward on results.
Money for grade is quite a common type of reward, I quite like it.

senua Sun 12-Jun-11 17:37:57

Reward her for effort. Apart from anything else, if you wait until results then summer will be over.

cory Sun 12-Jun-11 17:39:33

I would be wary of money per grade if you have more than one child.

nagynolonger Sun 12-Jun-11 17:54:52

I have never gone along with the money per grade idea. DC should work hard and do THEIR best. My 5th child has just finished his GCSEs. he is just looking forward to a rest and lots of cricket! I just hope he has A*/A in the 4 he wants to take at AS and at least a C in english. He is dyslexic and has always struggled.

I would say reward for effort. For me it is easy my DC have been allowed a TV in their bedrooms after their GCSEs. We will have some meals out/treats over the summer for all of them.

His younger brother is taking some GCSEs early and thinks it's very unfair that he has to wait for his TV until the end of year 11. It is tough being the youngestsmile.

roisin Sun 12-Jun-11 18:09:51

I would always advocate rewarding effort/commitment rather than results.

Especially at GCSE level the results should be a reward in themselves - ie they will be (hopefully) the ticket to go on to college, sixth form, whatever.

Kez100 Sun 12-Jun-11 18:38:10

For effort not grade. There are some grades my daughter will never achieve this year but it won't be through lack of effort. She is soon to finish the exams and we are treating her now. She will be given a pocket money bonus (and I expect she will buy a new phone with it).

PercyPigPie Sun 12-Jun-11 18:58:32

Reward for effort (from one who was rewarded for results!)

mumblechum1 Sun 12-Jun-11 19:05:07

I'm planning on giving ds a fixed cash sum (he doesn't know this), on results day purely because if I give him it next week when exams are over he won't have an incentive to get a holiday job and will just fritter it over the summer.

Hopefully if he gets it just before he goes to sixth form he'll save it towards a car & driving lessons as we're not contributing to that, but paying him through Uni instead.

exoticfruits Sun 12-Jun-11 19:15:08

I don't do rewards-a that age they should want good results for their own sake. I would have a treat for effort- and to celebrate them being over.

Danthe4th Sun 12-Jun-11 19:18:41

Is she having a prom as I have spent a couple of hundred on the dress and shoes and told her its because she has worked very hard that I haven't asked for her to contribute. I also bought her a couple of dvd's when she was stressing out!!

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Sun 12-Jun-11 19:21:58

I'm totally against the cash for grades thing - hate it with a passion.

Dd1 has been working v hard though and I suspect I'll take her for a day out in London when she's finished her exams, as a little treat for both of us and to show her hard work has been noticed.

exoticfruits Sun 12-Jun-11 19:28:35

I wouldn't have rewards for grades-they are getting them for themselves and not the parent.They are not going to have the right attitude if they don't work unless you offer a reward per grade!
A nice meal or something to celebrate good grades is different.

WhatsWrongWithYou Sun 12-Jun-11 19:32:56

We asked DS if there was anything he'd like - decided to do something after the exams for the effort and in recognition of all the time he's spent cooped up in his room x-boxing revising.
He came up with an ipod shuffle - the only thing he felt he needed.

I think it's nicer to reward them for effort rather than wait for the results.

mumblechum1 Sun 12-Jun-11 20:06:56

DS's mates are almost all getting cash for grades. One is getting £200 for every A* and as he's a good worker is likely to rake in £2.5k (he's already taken A level Maths as got A* GCSE Maths in yr 10!

Cupawoman Sun 12-Jun-11 20:10:18

We don't do cash/pressies for grades (though plenty of friends' parents do). We've always told DSs they should want to do well for themselves and they have been fine with this. We did go out for a nice meal when DS1 passed his GCSEs/A levels as a way of celebrating and that is what we will do for DS2 in August.

exoticfruits Sun 12-Jun-11 20:13:12

Mad! They need them for their own sake-if they are only going to work for a bribe I would say 'don't bother-leave school and get a job'.

quirrelquarrel Tue 14-Jun-11 17:54:46

There wasn't an awful lot to celebrate when I got my results- mostly all a grade or two below my predicted ones- I was grateful that my dad was nice about it. I didn't see his praise as a reward though...just him trying not to rub it in.
But my grandmother was lovely (and I'm not sure she really understood the difference between an A and an A*) and gave me 250 euros for clothes for sixth form. That might be an idea for your daughter.

exoticfruits Tue 14-Jun-11 19:52:24

A reason for doing it first for effort.

Mumanator Tue 14-Jun-11 19:56:07

She'll be rewarded by being the proud owner of a good education and useful qualifications!!!! Don't 'give' her anything but praise and approval - that's all teenagers really need anyway (whether they know it or not!)

Mumanator Tue 14-Jun-11 19:57:03

To go out for a celebratory meal as a family is a nice idea.

MigratingCoconuts Tue 14-Jun-11 19:58:50

effort, now..definately.

well done her smile

shineoncrazydiam0nd Tue 14-Jun-11 20:17:50

I reward for both effort and achievement.

So, my DD was just chosen to do something special at school - and she was chosen because she is so well thought of by her form tutor. So I have rewarded her with an Ipod Shuffle.

It's nice to encourage them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: