Talk

Advanced search

What level should they be at end of yr 7??

(9 Posts)
Lorenz Tue 07-Jun-11 17:51:46

DS has just told me his current level (via test). He's 5a.

I'm a little concerned as he used to be highly academic but since starting secondary he seems to be going backwards. He left primary school with a level 5b.

A lot of kids in his class have come out with level 6a/b

Am I right to be concerned?

Lorenz Tue 07-Jun-11 17:52:00

Sorry this was for maths btw

TheMonster Tue 07-Jun-11 17:52:36

What subject is it for, out of interest.

It's nothing to worry about at all. A primary 5b is nothing like a secondary 5b!

Lorenz Tue 07-Jun-11 17:53:53

Maths smile

I suppose it's just a bit of a wake-up call when your kid goes from being the class clevercloggs at primary to being pretty middle of the road student at secondary.

TheMonster Tue 07-Jun-11 18:11:05

You won't be the only parent feeling that way.

OddBoots Wed 08-Jun-11 19:31:20

I've been wondering the same thing and I found this which helps.

bigTillyMint Wed 08-Jun-11 19:36:59

Eeyore is right that a secondary 5b is harder to get than a primary 5b.

The other part of the problem may be that his SATs levels at primary school may have been heavily pushed - schools wanting to look good in the league table, etc.

sillybillies Fri 10-Jun-11 20:43:37

I agree with others that a primary 5b is not always same level as secondary 5b. We often ignore primary levels altogether (except for use in value added etc) and re-test our year 7's to set them as we find the primary data too unreliable - sorry to primary teachers, problem with SATs not the teaching!
Also if the result was based on one test, again he may have had a bad day or if its on a particularly topic, he may be weaker on that. Overall I wouldn't worry but keep an eye on the situation.

feckwit Fri 10-Jun-11 20:46:57

My daughter also went backwards in year 7 but has picked up in year 8. Totally normal according to teachers as year 6 children are hothoused to get the results and then forget it all again!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: