Talk

Advanced search

Anybody's DC done AQA non-calc today?

(32 Posts)
wotnochocs Mon 06-Jun-11 18:38:06

Sounds like there were some killer questions in there!

rubyrubyruby Mon 06-Jun-11 18:40:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hocuspontas Mon 06-Jun-11 19:23:28

Yep. Dd2 thinks she will be lucky to scrape a B. She's been working so hard as well!

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Mon 06-Jun-11 19:24:56

DD1 said it was vile! She's worked hard but Maths is far and away her weakest subject (I blame the parents!).

Goblinchild Mon 06-Jun-11 19:25:35

Mine did, he likes algebra though.
He thinks he's done well, but I haven't got a clue.

hocuspontas Mon 06-Jun-11 19:43:14

According to dd2 it was 'all fractions' grin, is this true ruby?

Nell799 Mon 06-Jun-11 19:50:53

Do your children do much revision for these exams ? DSS doesn't seem to have any homework , or any revision , according to him there is nothing for him to do . DH is going to speak with the school again tomorrow , as we really don't know if that is the case , and are concerned that he is not preparing .

mumblechum1 Mon 06-Jun-11 19:53:31

DS found it hard. He needs an A or A* but reckons he'll only have got a b.

He said most people struggled with it, which may mean that the grade boundary will be lower, hopefully.

Capiche Mon 06-Jun-11 19:54:19

dd sat hers earlier in the year but reports today from her friends are that it was 'ok but harder than expected'

Hassled Mon 06-Jun-11 19:55:22

Another invigilator here - they mostly seemed OK, but a fair few panicky looks. And a massive shortage of compasses - we ran out and ended up roaming the school nicking them from wherever.

wotnochocs Mon 06-Jun-11 20:02:32

Oh dear I hope these aren't all comments about AQA spec A.DS has just said you didn't need a compass!

Cupawoman Mon 06-Jun-11 20:21:47

wotno Don't panic! DS did AQA and said no compass involved.

2plus2 Mon 06-Jun-11 20:22:46

DS1 did spec B said it was easy, no compass required, did it and checked answers twice in 45 minutes.

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Mon 06-Jun-11 20:38:02

Just checked with dd and I lied - she did Edexcel!

Hassled Mon 06-Jun-11 20:59:27

Ours can't have been AQA (shows what attention I paid blush). Definate compass requirement with us.

Docbunches Mon 06-Jun-11 21:00:50

My DS did Maths today but he did OCR (Higher) and said it was OK. Sounds like the AQA and Edexcel exams were much harder than OCR, fortunately for my DS at least.

I also invigilate, but today I did AS Physics where a load of the candidates did not think to bring a protractor - just unbelievable!

PonceyMcPonce Mon 06-Jun-11 21:03:51

Exedexcel said to be tricky today. Compasses required I believe.

Do schools not provide all stationery? Ours does, but I am not sure if that is because students would rather buy fags than protractor on way to school!

Goblinchild Mon 06-Jun-11 21:05:16

Nell799, DS has been doing past papers, they posted the answers on the school's VLE so he could check what he'd done right or wrong and correct it.
He's also been using the BBC bitesize revision stuff and attended extra maths revision in school.
|Y11 can have study leave or come in for optional revision sessions in their subjects. DS knows he finds concentrating at home hard without guidance. Sometimes he's been the only one in the session, teachers don't seem to mind. smile

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Mon 06-Jun-11 21:25:48

Nell - dd1 has done a lot of revision and her room is currently covered in post-it notes with lots of Science stuff on them! She's done past papers etc for Maths and then got the mark schemes on line where available.

She went for a revision session before the exam today but said it wasn't with her usual teacher and they shoved all of the pupils in together, whatever their level, so it wasn't at all helpful. She was not v happy about it and would have been better off using the time at home tbh by the sound of it.

Docbunches Mon 06-Jun-11 21:30:01

In answer to PonceyMcPonce; where I work, students are expected to bring their own equipment. We keep a few spares of pens, compasses, rulers, calculators, etc, but today I had to run around looking for more protractors in other exam venues because SO many flippin students didn't have one!

Jonnyfan Mon 06-Jun-11 21:30:26

Edexcel harder than last year, I would say, and they needed compasses to construct an angle of 30 degrees sad

Goblinchild Mon 06-Jun-11 21:32:02

Ours all have to bring their own equipment to exams in a transparent case.

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Mon 06-Jun-11 21:34:00

Our school (and dd's school) are the same as Goblin's - although the school I teach at will sell them stuff if they've forgotten anything.

aliena Mon 06-Jun-11 22:26:00

My DD also said Edexcel Maths was the hardest maths paper she had ever done and her class were very upset (and a bit bewildered as well I think). A friend's school is submitting an official complaint to the Exam Board regarding the exam though I don't know on what grounds.

inthesticks Tue 07-Jun-11 09:58:41

DS1 (year 10) took it yesterday. He wants to do Maths A level and is gutted as he thinks he dropped at least 7 marks. He said it was the hardest test he's ever done, lots of questions he's never seen before and many of the kids were in tears afterwards.
He's worked his socks off revising for this. He has been getting 100% on practise papers and has all A*s before.

Does anyone know whether the grade boundries are decided in advance? Will they lower the marks required for an A* if all candidates score lower than expected?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now