Talk

Advanced search

Stonyhurst - what do people think?

(11 Posts)
sugartongue Wed 01-Jun-11 22:36:50

I'd just like some feedback on the school if anyone has any? DS1 is just going into prep (yr3), so I think I have some time to make decisions! Any positive / negative experiences greatfully received (or alternative suggestions) thank you!

fivegomadindorset Wed 01-Jun-11 22:52:00

My father went there many years ago, a friend had a job interview there and really liked it, as it is an old family house I am vageuly hoping that DS would like to go there if he could get a bursery/scholarship.

fivegomadindorset Wed 01-Jun-11 22:52:49

Are you specifically looking for a catholic education?

sugartongue Wed 01-Jun-11 23:47:20

yes five, we are. I would consider non-catholic but it is my preference. I also like the jesuits particularly

DeWe Thu 02-Jun-11 13:41:52

It was considered quite tough when I was at school. I remember someone's younger brother was sent their as his parents felt he was getting spoilt (actually they were right he was a bit) but I remember everyone's reaction being along the lines of "poor boy" even though they felt he "deserved it". I think he was going in at year 9 but I might be wrong there.
It's probably changed in the last 20 years though.

fivegomadindorset Thu 02-Jun-11 21:59:36

Have you consdiered Ampleforth? My cousins all went their and enjoyed it, there is also Downside.

sugartongue Thu 02-Jun-11 22:22:59

Don't know much about Ampleforth, is it co-ed these days? I know quite a lot of Downside, but it's a long way south from us, and I know he's have to board anywhere, but don't like to think of him too far away! (pathetic mother...)

Loshad Thu 02-Jun-11 23:22:08

it seems very austere and harry potterish - but major disclaimer - have only played rugby against them, and been in for rugby teas (very good btw).
Ampleforth seems a little less "rugged" and i know lots of folk who wernt there and loved it

merrilyverily Sat 04-Jun-11 00:10:10

I have recently tutored someone who is coming to the end of his time there. He seems very well adjusted and his mum (haven't met dad) is great. He said that he hated the first 9 months but after that something clicked and he hasn't looked back. It is in the middle of almost nowhere, apart from beautiful countryside. They are allowed out at weekends as they get older, and they all seem to go to Clitheroe, hardly a hotbed of drugs and debauchery!

sweatybrawearer Sat 04-Jun-11 00:24:04

I only know the prep bit of Stonyhurst (have been there for cricket matches). It looked a bit austere to me, but that might be because it poured down mid way through the game. At least one family I know of have moved boys from there to other prep schools, but I don't know why.

fivegomadindorset Sat 04-Jun-11 07:35:41

I know someone who was guardian to a mexican boy who was there for a year, said he loved it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now