Talk

Advanced search

Secondary Schools in N. Staffs/S. Cheshire/Stoke

(5 Posts)
NstaffsScheshMum Tue 31-May-11 20:09:52

Re-posting from education, I was wondering if anyone has any insights into schools around N staffs and S cheshire (specifically Alsager)? We haven't been here long and have 3DDs aged 10, 9 and 7. We've given Alsager school a closer look but feel its just too big for our DDs, especially DD2, she's quite young for her age in many respects. I think she could easily fall into a 'bad crowd' and not do so well. All girls are bright (DD1 is on level 5bs across the board already and DD2 is on 5c, 5c, 4a at the end of yr 4).

I don't work (apart from a little freelance) so can take the girls to school up to about 15-20 miles (if good roads) but we have no idea what the options are! We go to church weekly so would be ok at least to try for faith schools, DDs are christened etc (we're catholic) and can afford 3 sets of school fees if private is the best fit!

HELP! smile

maddy68 Tue 31-May-11 21:35:55

I would recommend sandbach girls but It may be tricky to get in there
alsager is supposed to be a good school

admission Tue 31-May-11 22:03:54

Alsager has a good reputation but I agree is a big school, much as Sandbach High School is (the girls school). You would probably get into Sandbach on distance criteria, especially as they seem to be a bit cavalier over the numbers they take over PAN. A lot of pupils who go to Alsager come from North Staffs, so you can read what you want into that.
There are two secondary schools in Nantwich and Brine Leas is definitely considered the school to go to, but I do not believe that you will get a place because of the distance. The local catholic secondary school is in Crewe, St Thomas Moore - to be honest don't know much about that school.
The other way you could go is upto one of the two secondary schools in Congleton or a bit further afield is Holmes Chapel.
If you get the admission books from Cheshire West and Chester and Cheshire East they cover all these schools - they are also on the LA websites.

mindgone Tue 07-Jun-11 14:40:03

St Joseph's College in Stoke is a great school which gets great results. It's 12.5 miles from Alsager and takes around 30 mins. If you're Catholic and go to Mass every week, you should get a place. There is also an entrance exam taken in the September of year 6, sounds like your children should easily pass! I hope this is of help to you.

cricketballs Thu 09-Jun-11 19:51:30

If you can afford the fees then look at Newcastle Orme would take about 20 mins travel.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: