Talk

Advanced search

end of year levels

(10 Posts)
coccyx Mon 30-May-11 15:40:53

Where should an 'average' student be in Maths at end of year 7?? Daughter does struggle with this subject and needed to know if we were on track

bulby Mon 30-May-11 15:46:17

An 'average' student would be mid 4 to mid 5. The expected level at the end of year 9 would be high 5/low 6. It's actually difficult to say because the average student at my current school would be much higher and my previous school much lower. I'm a science teacher but levels are broadly similar.

coccyx Mon 30-May-11 15:47:53

Thanks. Done better than I/she thought.

KetchupQueen Mon 30-May-11 20:51:05

Sorry to question - but I thought that 4b was where they expected the average student to be by end of Y6, and they are supposed to do 2 sub levels a year aren't they? I know the brightest in primary reach 5a by end Y6. But maybe I am swayed by the whole 11+ stuff - I know we were told we should be aiming for high 5's in case DD didn't pass in order to stand a chance at appeal.

MrsBarchester Thu 02-Jun-11 11:32:39

sorry to join in with yet another confused query on levels.
DD (currently yr 7) has been "predicted" to reach level 7c for maths, english and science by the end of yr 9.
Assuming that she does, what would her likely grades be in GCSE (assuming taken at the normal time in yr 11)?

gazzalw Thu 02-Jun-11 12:00:32

We have Ds who has Level 5+ (Literacy) and 5b (Numeracy) at end of Year 5 if that helps (or maybe not?)

PotteringAlong Thu 02-Jun-11 12:46:02

Don't worry about the average student - everyone's different and the key is
a) where is she in relation to her target grade (usually an end of key stage one so she should achieve it by the end of year 9)
b) how much progress has she made this year - if she goes up (approx) a sub level a term she's doing ok

oh - and I'd expect anyone with a level 7 at end of ks3 to get a grade A at GCSE

coccyx Thu 02-Jun-11 13:09:13

Well we are getting her end of year test results in dribs and drabs.
When do we find out her target grade? We live in middle east, but school follows British curriculem.
Her lack of confidence is always mentioned in Maths.Does concern me when she can't tell me how many millimetres in a cm! teacher said 'oh not to worry'. She knows now!

PotteringAlong Thu 02-Jun-11 13:38:54

She should know her target grade - one if the OFSTED big things is that every child should know what it is or know where to find it (although that might be different abroad). Does she have a school diary with them in? Or the front of her book? If not then it should be on her school report. She'll have a target level for every single subject (in theory!).

Could you ring the school and ask?

coccyx Thu 02-Jun-11 14:31:59

its a British school, but they seem to pick and chose what part of Ofsted regulations/guidelines they follow!
Communication between school and parents is not the best.
Going to make an appointment to see the head of year so i know what is happening, and will look over mid year report..
Thank you

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: